Unusual grip at Cartel Escrime

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by EldRick, Jul 6, 2011.

1. EldRick

EldRick Podium

2. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

3. migopod

migopod Podium

4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I'll bet they weren't designed by a sabre fencer. That's some proselytizing foilist's or epeeist's work! :mad:

5. Mergs

Mergs Podium

OK, I'll bite. Why not legal for saber? Foil and Epee I get, but saber - what's your rationale?

6. migopod

migopod Podium

I'm working from the 2008 rules here, so it's possible that it might have changed, but the language stating that the grip (or glove) including any device or attachment that fixes the position of the hand on the grip etc. is headed "Characteristics Common to All Weapons"* and does not appear to exclude saber to me.

Am I misinterpreting?

* Of course an argument could be made that saber is excluded since we all know it's not really a weapon.

7. Mergs

Mergs Podium

So, how would you hold this grip in more than one way if it was mounted on a saber?

8. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

With ease?

9. migopod

migopod Podium

Pretty similarly to how I'd hold it with an epee. With a finger or three outside the guard and use it to execute stop-thrusts to the cuff. The extra inches with current lockout time would probably be pretty useful, and a point-forward sort of hand position would protect the fingers that remain outside the guard.

10. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Eh, not seeing the difference between what you describe and what you can theoretically do with a current saber grip now. A french grip gets around this rule because it doesn't 'fix' the hand in more than one position, although it could be argued that by pommelling the grip, you violate the 2cm thumb to guard rule.

11. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

How does a standard saber grip fix the hand in a way the French does not?

A French grip? No. The grip in question, yes, which is why it wouldn't be legal.

12. migopod

migopod Podium

The point being that while you could hold a standard saber in this way you couldn't take advantage of orthopedic protrusions while doing so which you could with the Cartel grip, so in my interpretation of the rule is that for all weapons a grip must either not have orthopedic protrusions (French and conventional saber) or fix the hand in one position with the thumb no more than 2 cm from the guard.

13. downunder

downunder Podium

obviously this grip does not comply with either the spirit or the letter of the rules.

14. milstdfarm

milstdfarm Made the Cut

If you click the second link you can see a bigger picture of the grips which show a groove cut for the wires to feed through against the guard. So I don't think this is for sabre.

15. migopod

migopod Podium

http://www.poigneeprat.com/
    referenced previously in this thread
    It looks like it's intended to be used on all three weapons and claims were made that it is legal for use within the FFE (possibly just U14), but I don't know to what degree the French materials rules differ from FIE or USFA rules on the matter.

It would certainly be deemed illegal for competition on all three weapons in the US or FIEish rules sets.

16. Mergs

Mergs Podium

I don't disagree that for foil and epee it would be illegal, I'm just interested in the implications for saber. Would have to get one and mount it on a saber to actually see how it could be held. Maybe even fence a few bouts.........any takers?

17. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

You're really having trouble with the implications for saber? Imagine it's a foil and you're holding it illegally. Now imagine that it's a saber and you're holding it the same way. VoilĂ 

18. fatfencer

fatfencer Podium

Two things... looks like a very straight Gardere grip by LP, which not surprisingly I am a fan of(goofy grips!!!)

Secondly I am ashamed of F-net that I was the first to notice 'prat' on the grip... which makes me not a fan of this grip.

Prat.. eek!

19. migopod

migopod Podium

Second :D
    http://www.fencing.net/forums/thread52983.html#post901538

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  20. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Just to give credit where credit is due (something I'm certain Donald would insist on if he were here), the portion of his post which you've quoted was itself a quote from the response which he received from Dan DeChaine following his own inquiry as to the legality of this grip.