Unsportsmanlike Conduct after Bout Finishes

Discussion in 'Rules and Referee Questions' started by jdude97, Feb 15, 2018.

1. mfp

mfp Podium

Seems pretty dubious to claim the reason a loose barrel disqualifies a fencer's test request is because ... it works sooner than it would otherwise.

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

While the wire is glued in, the cup is not. If the barrel comes loose, that may pull on the cup as it unwinds, stretching the wire a teeeeny bit. Screwing the barrel doesn't mean the cup is pulled back against that shelf inside the barrel, meaning it could stay pulled out.

That could put the contacts closer to the contact spring, which could change the travel from the minimum 0.45mm to, for example, an illegal 0.40mm, and in epee that distance difference could be the diff between a double touch and a lock-out.

Unlikely, yes....but this is epee we're talking about, where some fencers spend more time adjusting that spring to 0.45 and not enough time actually fencing

3. mfp

mfp Podium

Oh good grief. "Pretty dubious" was being too kind.

4. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

It may seem dubious to you, but like many of these rules, it is the result of someone trying to work around the existing rules.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Like the new chest plate rule.....thanks a lot, foilists.

6. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I think that was more taking advantage of the chest-plate, not only working around the flick timings.
    Think of it like, "My flicks aren't working as well with Jeff who uses a chest plate. Wonder if there's something..."
    Vs, "If I twist the tip thusly, I get 1mm extra room after the ref tests. Mwahahaha."

7. mfp

mfp Podium

The rule isn't dubious -- Purple Fencer's claimed reason for the rule is what's dubious.

The situations discussed involve fencer requested tests during a bout and the rule is in a subsection of t.68 ("The Referee must also apply the following rules regarding the annulment of touches").

A poster wrote they "don't know why a loose barrel is a disqualifier" during a fencer requested test. I.e. a fencer gets hit, asks the ref test his epee and the ref finds the epee has a loose barrel, so the ref stops the test and lets the opponent's touch stand. Epee fencers ask for a ref to test their weapon because it didn't set off a light. In order to get the opponent's touch annulled they need their own epee to be tested and *fail to fire*, not Sam's "firing earlier than the rules require".

Don't confuse the rules regarding the annulment of touches with the rules regarding conformance of equipment.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    jdude97 likes this.