Under the Knicks: Shorts

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Maeve_Mari, May 18, 2004.

?

What's Under Those Knickers

1. Pants: Jeans, Cords, Khakis?

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. Shorts: Jeans, Cords, Khakis?

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Shorts: Athletic - Lycra, Dri Fit, Cool Max, Compression?

156 vote(s)
    80.4%
  4. Nothing: Au Natural?

26 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. Whatever: Street clothes, As You Are?

17 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Orestes

Orestes Made the Cut

UnderArmor seems to be getting the lions share of attention, but there are a lot of other choices if you're looking for something that wicks and fits well. Any running related store or manufacturer will have a lot to choose from. Reebok and Adidas in particular have a wide range of poly tops/bottoms that are on the looser side. In my experience, UA is preferred by people wearing pads (Lacrosse, football, hockey), while runners, skiers, and soccer players tend to go with other brands. I think tighter stuff gives a minimal amount of compression/support, but if you had an effed up knee or elbow, you'd probably have a special brace already.

Personally, I swear by Patagonia capilene stuff. Their regular "long underwear" runs around $35 and the sizes favor most average builds. I picked up some of their running specific gear for triathlon training and have been very happy with the result.

I'd watch out for stuff that's too tight. I think its been mentioned that tight stuff rides up, which is a pain if there wasn't much room for error to begin with. You'll notice this if you ever come up for a high parry (like a one) and there's a space between your jacket and a low waistband (if you wear warm-ups). Getting smacked on the love handle is only fun when there's a little romance involved.

2. achilleus

achilleus Rookie

If you notice, the other brands get mentioned, but since Under Armor was the first, and started the trend with these lycra, quick dry form fitting shirts designed to be worn under a uniform, their name is almost synonmous with the style. Much like Kleenex and Q-tips. Someone above mentioned an underarmor shirt, then described it as a cheap brand from Walmart, for example.

Well, the tighter stuff does provide compression, but not for the reasons you think. The light compression reduces muscle fatigue, keeps the muscles warmer, and thus reduces the risk of injury (pulled muscle, etc...). On tournament days I find the compression stuff without comparison as it helps during the long wait times.

Yeah, I got a scar on my 'love handle', which is why I always wear fencing pants.

Hm....

When fencing that is. I got the scar from fencing, and always wear the fencing pants when fencing.

Perverts. :angry:

Fencergrl likes this.
  3. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

100th post

I haven't found much of any difference between my "BCG" shirt and my Underarmor one. My complaint about both is that as shortsleeved shirts, they bunch in my armpits.

4. Rapier_wit

Rapier_wit Rookie

I just have my dance leotard and tights, so even if I take off the knickers, it looks like I just stepped out of a Bob Fosse class. I should probably wear some other shorts underneath, considering that my pants are about 5 sizes too big. I could fit a whole 'nother fencer in there!

5. RITFencing

RITFencing Rookie

Yes, but the question on everyone's minds: Who would it be?

6. Morion

Morion Rookie

I generally wear my usual undies with a cup and an old blood donor T-shirt (I have many of those). I did once forget to take a T-shirt and ended up wearing my plastron as a shirt. I found it was a good way to show off my manly hairy beer belly! :jester:

7. JackOfHearts

JackOfHearts Rookie

Since you're not volunteering, I'll do it. :p ;)

8. BovineMadness

BovineMadness Rookie

I'm another who subscribes to the "Underwear-Only" school of thought. I find wearing a t-shirt is just too uncmfortable. Mind you, I wouldn't mind trying underarmour as I've heard good things about it.

9. _fence(1)

_fence(1) Made the Cut

Does it mean there is no underwear under gym shorts??

10. ChrisBrasel

ChrisBrasel Rookie

Boxer briefs and underarmor sleeveless

11. howardroark

howardroark Rookie

I also use the underarmour stuff. Its great. I use the shirts for underneath my jacket and I wear running shorts (really short!) underneath my knickers.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
    Wise-Epeeist likes this.
  12. fencerbill

fencerbill Podium

I have a bathing suit I have been wearing for almost 10 years which is cut like soccer shorts and is not restrictive. I like not having to run off when donning or doffing my knickers.

13. JasminaJ

JasminaJ Rookie

I wear lycra or dry wicking aerobic shorts under the knickers, and a sprts bra under the under armour shirt, plastron next, then plastic armour, then jacket, then lame'
    I feel like a little kid dressed for the snow, I can hardly move at all!

14. u r the spoon

u r the spoon Rookie

For competition, I wear a sports tank top and sports shorts. if i wear a shirt, it is a wicking adidas shirt that is pretty cool. Before I wore the chest plate, back when i used "frisbees" i just wore a sports bra. but as mentioned before, the hard edges of the plastic chest protector aren't nice on bare skin.

15. gh02t

gh02t Rookie

Under Armor lacrosse shirt and shorts all the way. I bought it after I saw a teammate pass out from overheating. Its kinda pricey, but it beats going to the hospital, plus it looks cool between matches :)