U.S. fencing competitive history

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Ancientepee, Mar 16, 2019 at 1:21 PM.

1. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

For those who are interested in the history of fencing competitive results in the United States, Andy Shaw has posted both my Div I USFA National Champions reports and my NCAA reports on his Museum of American Fencing web site (http://museumofamericanfencing.com/wp/). They're under the "Fencing History" pulldown.

The NCAA reports are still a work in progress. I now have what I think are complete 1-6 results for all of the events (except one) and complete individual results for the years since 1983 with a scattering of years since the first championships in 1941. But for some of the years I haven't found the results yet for places below the top 6 and there were some years when a separate team events were held and I don't know the names of the fencers who competed in the team event but not the individual event.

I'm still coming across interesting tidbits though now at a very slow pace. I don't know if you've seen the ND fencing media guide. It puts every other school's to shame. It's FORTYSEVEN pages of just ND fencing info. But it says that ND fencers first participated in the NCAAs in 1947 which I thought strange because the team results for 1941 list ND in 13th place with 9 victories. Yesterday I found a article in a 1941 South Bend newspaper that listed the five ND fencers who had competed with their results. Their victories add up to 9. So that'll be in the next set of reports that I will send Andy with this year's results from next week.

Charles Schmitter was a collegiate fencing coach from 1935 to 1983 and left his files to the Michigan State University library. I suspect that that's the only place were I'll be able to find (mostly) complete NCAA fencing results from that period. I hope to be able to take a trip there this summer to spend a couple of days going through the 8 cubic feet of material that the left there.

As far as I can tell, Andy Shaw and I are the only ones interested in researching the history of fencing in the US. With the amount of information being put up on the web growing at an incredible rate, more and more information is becoming available online for those who are willing to dig for it. If there are some others who are willing to help fencing by spending a couple of hours looking for missing or incomplete information, please let me know what you find or if you'd like to tackle a long-term research project.

2. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

Don't let Conner see this
    It is officially USA Fencing as I was reminded this weekend.

3. mfp

mfp Podium

I have a nearly complete database of US Vet National Championship winners if reports from it would be of interest to anyone.

btw does anyone know the USFA history behind Kamila Kruszelnicka and how she ended up with USFA Member #100000001 ?

4. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

They can rebrand it all they want to, but the bylaws still name it as "UNITED STATES FENCING ASSOCIATION".

5. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

Don’t look at me I was just told that it was a required name change due to being the governing body of a Olympic sport.

6. wwittman

wwittman Made the Cut

Is to me!

7. wwittman

wwittman Made the Cut

I still call it the AFLA :cool:

8. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

It probably wasn't an official name change. [Does anyone know?] It might be that the USOC asked all of their NGBs to refer to themselves as "USA [sport]" to simplify their own record keeping and so it's a [legal?] alternate name. I seem to recall that when the name was legally changed from "Amateur Fencers League of America", it was a costly and time consuming process. Others also use abbreviated names. For example, "Ohio State University" is really, legally named "The Ohio State University" and some other colleges also have legal names that no one uses.

9. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

What do you mean by "database"? Is the information in an Access database, an Excel spreadsheet, a Word document, or some machine readable format?

If you want, I can send you the Access database that I use to store and report out the Division I reports that I posted. You would have to load your data into four tables in that database and then you could generate reports using the reports that I've already defined. The four tables are:
    dbFencers - Where you'd put the fencers' names and (optionally) any information you have about their date/place of birth/death. Fencers who previously won a Division I championship would already be there.
    dbIndividualPlacement - Where you'd put year, individual event code, and name of the fencers who won their events. You can actually store all of the fencers who competed and their placements but I don't have reports currently defined to report out anyone other than the champions.
    dbTeamPlacement - Where you'd put year, team event code, and club name of the teams. (Ditto about teams below first place)
    dbTeamMember - Where you'd put the year, team event code, club name, and fencers' names.

Andy Shaw or someone else might then be interested in posting your reports online.