Trump's lies

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by jjefferies, Jun 24, 2017.

1. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

"we have catalogued nearly every outright lie he has told publicly since taking the oath of office."

And that would be...a lie.

Because they can't possibly have kept track of anywhere near all of Trump's lies. And if they had they wouldn't have been able to fit them into such a short article. I doubt that it's even possible to keep up with the President on this score.

jjefferies likes this.
  3. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Ok, only the recorded ones. =:0

4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I still think it's like trying to catalogue all of the mosquitoes in the Everglades.

5. jkormann

jkormann Podium

He's not under oath while lying, and thus don't count to impeachment.
    I'm hoping someone brings him in for violations of the Presidential Records Act. Spicer already said his tweets are official statements, and he's deleted a few.

6. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Impeachable is whatever the House says it is.

"Someone."

7. OROD

OROD Podium

The problem is that no matter how much he lies, most of his supporters dont seem to care. If they did he would not have been elected in the first place.

Privateer likes this.
  8. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Or they enjoy his lies because they see people they don't like being annoyed. To them it's entertainment.

It's a working theory they've been badly affected by decisions outside their control, nothing worse can happen and they'll deal with it. Now they see the people "in charge" reacting to random decisions and unable to keep up, exactly what happened to them, and they are entertained.

9. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

This thought comes from Charlie Sykes, a long-time bleeding-heart ultra-liberal: "But the real heart of anti-anti-Trumpism is the delight in the frustration and anger of his opponents. Mr. Trump’s base is unlikely to hold him either to promises or tangible achievements, because conservative politics is now less about ideas or accomplishments than it is about making the right enemies cry out in anguish." https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/...then-trump-must-be-doing-something-right.html I thought it was a pretty interesting article.

Regarding the main topic of Trump's statements, everyone should know a legal term called puffery. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffery I would defend many of Trump's false statements as not being lies but as being puffery. Of course, that doesn't make them any truer.

Furthermore, puffery is also something of a conversational style. I know a few people who have the same tenuous relationship with reality that Trump (and other advertisers) have. They will say false things like "Obama is a Muslim," without irony, sarcasm, or humor. They are intelligent people who are aware of the contrary reality, but is an expression of political opinion, not a lie. I knew one guy in particular who would make really absurd claims about his employment, financial situation, and credentials. The statements were not just untrue, but clearly false at their inception. No one in the room believed him (which I imagine he knew), but no one would say anything. He was not trying to state the erroneous fact that he was in charge of 200 people. He was trying to express the unfalsifiable opinion that he is responsible.

I find that style of speech to be very frustrating, but you're not going to make any progress calling that person a liar. If I told you I could make your dick bigger (or make Mexico pay for a wall) if you elect me President, what use is it to call me a liar? Everyone knows it's untrue. In the Trump vernacular, that is precisely why it is not a lie.

10. jeff

jeff Podium

Nice, and shocking (given the precedents on the board) to see such unanimity of opinion. Has that every happened before?

11. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

??? Trying to decipher this statement. Care to add some context or meaning?

12. OROD

OROD Podium

Unite against the Orange Menace!

13. jeff

jeff Podium

Sure. No hidden meaning. This forum has had prolonged and acrimonious argument - to see unanimity, or nearly so, on the statement "Trump lies" is surprising and refreshing. Put it this way: I saw Inq's comments which amount to "Trump lies a lot"; I agree and can't improve on that. That's not our usual history. I suppose we could finely parse "puffery" vs. "lie" but I don't think that's a rich vein to mine. I suppose there's somebody who might post their opinion that Trump is a truthful, moral guy. At this point, it's almost pointless to argue with people who think that way. To see the opinions above this post was a nice surprise.

Personal note: I grew up in Queens and Brooklyn. Donald grew up in Queens, but our paths didn't cross. In Brooklyn, I lived across the street from Trump Village, about which it could be said "Fred Trump built it, Donald worked to keep it all-white, the DoJ made them stop". I've despised Trump decades before he entered politics, long before the Johnny-come-lately types.

14. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

And that's well-earned...his behavior is really nothing new...it's just the political power behind it that's changed.

15. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Good God what have I done. :eek:

16. OROD

OROD Podium

Trump, bringing people together! =)

17. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Are you ... him?

18. jkormann

jkormann Podium

19. OROD