Triangular - guitar case style fencing bag with two backpack straps - NO WHEELS

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by MikeC, Sep 26, 2014.

1. MikeC

MikeC Rookie

Hello,
    I am new to this site, actually my first thread. I have tried looking through the older posts. I wanted to ask for current suggestions.

I'm looking for a new triangular-style/ guitar case style fencing bag; not with wheels or big duffel bags. Too stiff and not very easy to use. Seems there are always issues with the wheels.

Reviews for bags in the Reviews section are quite old, and the only discussions I could find were about the big bags with wheels or the bags are no longer available.

Anyone have any good recommendations on this subject?
    Thank you for your time and help with this issue.

2. MikeC

MikeC Rookie

I want to make sure the bag has two backpack straps so it can be carried around like a bookbag. Just making sure everyone understands what I am looking for.

3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

What are you going to carry in it? (yeah, we get fencing gear, but how much of what?)

Members at my club get along well with the Standard bag [at http://shop.fencing.net/category_s/7.htm] for two swords and other gear. A few wear it slung upside down on their backs.

4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

5. MikeC

MikeC Rookie

It is for a college student. They have a full uniform, mask, shoes, and usually two to three weapons. The issue is that they to walk so far away to get to fencing practice just having one should strap makes their back start to ache and hurt. They already has back issues so having double backpack straps would make it easier to balance the weight and not have it all on one side. The wheels are not an option since those bags are such a pain to actually use. If you have ever seen a tournament with bleachers and steps, etc. It is a chore moving that bag around since usually they have some sort of hard plastic bottom. The wheels get rocks and debris in them and usually always jam up or break in the cold. Not something I am willing to go through being hours and hours away from them to be the "fixer" for that issue. Here is a pic of one bag I am trying to find. The only other one I saw was a big rectangle looking one. They did not like that one but the one below they did like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-39312702446035_2270_9191270

6. MikeC

MikeC Rookie

The prior model of this one looked really good. This version has wheels and a lot of hard plastic looks like. They do not have any more of the earlier version I do not believe. I'll call again and make sure. Last time I called they said "no".

7. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Your fear of wheels seems a little extreme to me. Every kid at my club has a bag with wheels, and I don't think any of them have ever had to do anything to them. Particularly for someone with a bad back it seems a little crazy to make them carry all their stuff because you're suspicious of this newfangled "wheel" technology.

8. MikeC

MikeC Rookie

It's not my fear of wheels it is what they do not want. They see how the other fencers have to mess around with the wheels and how stiff the bag is and do not want a wheeled bag. If I bought one for them they would end up not using it. So it would be a waste of money. Then I would be right back to trying to find a bag without wheels. We do two other sports and each of those have people using wheeled bags. We just see what issues keep showing up there and they feel they do not want to have to deal with that with a fencing wheeled bag.

9. K O'N

K O'N Podium

10. MikeC

MikeC Rookie

There is one other double strap bag. It looks small plus they were not too keen on how rectangle it was. They did not feel it will fit all their equipment in it. The specs are not listed on the item either. I have left two messages ( emails) and two voice messages , during their "business hours" with Alliance and the message said they would get " right back with you" and so far no replies with either method. This was from early Thursday afternoon of this week. I gave them my cell phone. That thing is always on, uggg.
    http://www.alliancefencingequipment...g-covers/alliance-double-strap-back-pack.html

11. MikeC

MikeC Rookie

My reply next to each one.
    Thank you for your help. I am running out of options and time.

I just sent an email to the first choice you posted for me. The guitar backpack style. They are in Italy. I will see if I get a reply from them.
    That one looks the best of all the ones I have seen. I hope they have a distributor here in the USA. It would make this sooooooo much easier.
    Thank you for helping me trying to find one.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  12. MikeC

MikeC Rookie

13. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

Factoring in shipping and import duties from Italy, it will probably be cheaper to buy a bag that meets all of their criteria except the backpack straps and have straps sewn onto it.

14. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

15. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

16. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

That is true, except that it is also a backpack. The description is Multipack backpack, bag and rollbag all in one.
    He doesn't have to use the wheels but can also use it as a backpack and will hold 3 weapons.

17. Maggie

Maggie Made the Cut

18. Quo Usque

Quo Usque Rookie

I know you're not talking about me, but holy crap you just described me exactly. College student who walks to practice and has back issues making gear bags a pain? It's like this thread is designed for me.

19. MikeC

MikeC Rookie

I have thought of that as well. You have to have it sewn by something that uses the right sewing thread and also make sure the straps fir correctly once they put the backpack on. Since she is away at college getting time to do that and make sure the aftermarket straps fit correctly may be impossible, time and logistically. I understand what you are saying but getting everyone and everything all in one place, on a weekend mind you, would be tough to do. Not impossible, just really difficult. That is why finding one pre-made would be so much easier.

20. MikeC

MikeC Rookie

I saw that one as well. However, she stated she does not think all her equipment ( full uniform,mask, two sets of gloves, two sets of shoes, and three weapons) would fit in there since it looks sort of rectangular. There is no size reference on that item. I have tried calling and emailing them with no reply back as of yet (9/30/2014).