This week on the workbench

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by ktinoue3, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

Was working on a foils for a club member. It was showing a very intermittent connection. After checking that the wire was still good with a multimeter I cleaned out the tip and replaced the spring and screws. Still very intermittent connection. At this point I figure due to the age of the foil most likely corrosion and gunk buildup between the bell guard and socket and to bellguard and the blade. Clean all that up and it is still having connection issues. Looking closer at the socket itself and sure enough there is enough corrosion on it that it is causing my multimeter to jump all over the place. I think I am just going to put a new socket on, Pretty sure trying to clean it up is not worth the effort.
    [​IMG]

2. posineg

posineg Made the Cut

Bah Humbug... at least the part under the grip was still shiny.
    ;)

3. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

I saw the rust originally but didn't think it would affect anything. Turns out the inside of the socket hole is corroded too .

4. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Ya....the points of contact are the important parts to keep clean.

Easier to replace it at this stage.

5. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Yeah, replace. When the insides of the sockets corrode the plating is gone. Even if you clean it up with sandpaper or something, it will corrode again very quickly.

6. Joe biebel

Joe biebel Podium

I have had good success with putting a Q-tip soaked in oil into the socket holes and spinning them with a dremel tool. You do need to de-laminte a Q-tip to fit into the small hole.

7. jfarmer

jfarmer DE Bracket

Oddly enough, we have more problems caused by the plating than not.

One of my 1st checks is the resistance from socket to guard and from socket to blade body. I usually file and sandpaper the shoulders of the Blade tang, guard opening and it's inside surface, both sides of socket base, and then cleaning all the surfaces with acetone or alcohol.