The right way to judge [Foil]

Discussion in 'Rules and Referee Questions' started by Malicia, May 19, 2019.

1. jeff

jeff Podium

For "which ones" - I'll go look later. Not the PiL items from Malicia just above. PiL has always been a crapshoot!
    Regarding Albie - yeah, well he could be a piece of work, and utterly convinced he was always right. Somewhere on this board I tell the story of reffing him and Ed Wright when I was still a kid.

2. jeff

jeff Podium

Hey, are you sure you want to carry on with this? I thought you planned to let this thread die. :)

3. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

I fenced both of those guys.

I was trying to remember but I’m drawing a blank...
    Who was the guy (another fencer) who was always partnering around with Ed Wright and doing the “I’ll bet you a nickel he’s wright’ prank?

4. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

I’m happy (MORE than happy) to hijack this thread into talking about NY fencing back in the late 60’s early 70’s and ignore all the nonsense about ‘the right way...’!

5. sdubinsky

sdubinsky DE Bracket

I'm very interested in any stories you'd care to tell of fencing back in the 60's and 70's.

6. jeff

jeff Podium

Thread-jacking is much more fun.

I don't remember that anecdote about Ed Wright (who, sadly, died recently), sorry.

For the "which call would I not like", I guess the one from CIP 2019 by Malicia in post 15 in the thread-as-long-as-the Ritz "how some foil referees break rules" would do. FOTL is standing in place and actually retracting his arm while FOTL lunges. FOTL doesn't even move his arm forward until just about when FOTR lands. Back in Days of Yore that would have been attack from right. Easy peasy.

Okay, New York anecdotes from days long gone by. I'll start with a referee one: I took my first referee ("director" as we said) training around 1970 from Al Kwartler, who wrote a lot of the AFLA guides, fenced in 3 Olympics and officiated in Rome. He said (and I recall distinctly) "look for the elbow moving away from the torso" - that is the act of extending, not the (not required) condition of being extended - for seeing who has priority. The class was at Salle Santelli on 6th avenue, and Giorgio came upstairs for a "guest lecture" which included having a fencer lightly tap an incoming blade: Giorgio caught the tapped blade at the outside of its arc to show that yes, a light tap could indeed deviate the point from target.

We had some colorful people, like Neil Lazar would would dye his outfits turquoise blue or canary yellow. At this distance of time I could convince myself that I hallucinated that.

You guys (or I should say "youse guys") may remember Maurice Kamhi. He fenced with very unorthodox style - full torso facing opponent and bouncing continuously. High school kids would fencing him thinking "ah, this guy doesn't know anything" and get beaten 5-0. When you got better and started getting close to 5-4, he would switch to his right hand (easy in dry foil at club, using Italian) and you would be back at 5-0 again! Maurice made it to the round of 8 in the Martini and Rossi Cup held at the NYAC. The Europeans might not have seen anything like that.

7. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

I trained with Maestro Santelli as well (after Maestro Niederkirchner at NYTV and NYAC) and I remember both Kwartler and Neil Lazar as well.
    Said to hear about Ed Wright. I remember being better than Ed, and then all of a sudden... NOT anymore.

I fenced fairly regularly against guys like Ed Ballinger and Marty Lang as well as occasionally Albie and Uriah.

I remember Kamhi a little but I somehow don't think I ever fenced him.