The pen is mightier than the sword....

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by Max, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Max

Max Rookie

Hello, True Believers. The recent "Angels and Demons" thread has given me the thought of creating a thread about our favorite authors and books/novels. I think we can get some threatening and angry posts. ;) I'll post later.

2. Iwant2bafencer

Iwant2bafencer Rookie

I inspired someone!! :D

hmmm Terry Goodkind's done pretty well in my bok. Shakespeare is always great, there are a lot more too!

3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Heh, Terry Goodkind and Shakespeare! Talk about from the ridiculous to the sublime! :D

( No offense to Goodkind fans, it's just that mentioning him in that particular company struck me as funny. Sort of like "I'd like to thank my hairdresser, and of course God". :) )

Last edited: Jul 16, 2004
  4. Zelda

Zelda Rookie

Shakespeare is always good. Tamora Pierce is great, as is Mary Gibbs. Browning for poetry, any good biography, autobiography or young adult fantasy. Basically I will read anything once, twice to make sure I dont like it! I enjoy Bill Bryson and and travel memoirs - be they current or 1800's. Does that get people going?

5. dunastor

dunastor Rookie

After reading a few of his books, I got annoyed with Goodkind.
    Kind of just like with Robert Jordan... after 6 books the various plotlines take forever to get any further....

At the moment I really like Steven Erikson's Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

6. fencergal33

fencergal33 Rookie

Ummmmm hello? If you're going with classics, Kipling, Bronte, Salinger.....

If you're going modern, I have to pick J.K. Rowling.....sorry, it had to be done.

-K

7. Gav

Gav Moderator!!

I'm reading Eriksons books at the moment. Although well written I would hardly call them genre defining...

8. DJ Apostrophe

DJ Apostrophe Podium

Don't quite know why... but after reading The Hunt for Red October, I got into naval warfare books... its my guilty pleasure.

To that end, I enjoy Patrick Robinson very much, and recently read a book by H. Jay Riker, and cursed myself the whole way through because it just seemed that he stole things from Robinson's books and recompiled them into his own.

-w

9. Moonitic

Moonitic Rookie

Eh...Mary's okay. :rolleyes:

I love Liz Curtis Higgs (Christian Historical), Frank Peretti (Christian Suspense) & LJ Smith (young adult). Not to mention the classics. I wish I had more time to read. Been so busy!

10. dunastor

dunastor Rookie

Yeah I guess the genre was already defined before he started writing his books :)
    But it's a nice read, must get started at the 5th one soon...

11. Max

Max Rookie

Have any of you guys read any Terry Pratchett or the insaciable (did I spell that right?) Douglas Adams?

12. Max

Max Rookie

Insatiable, right? :dunce:

13. felicote

felicote Rookie

Sean Connery: I've got to ask you about the Penis Mightier.

Alex Trebek: What? No. No, no, that is The Pen is Mightier.

Sean Connery: Gussy it up however you want, Trebek. What matters is does it work? Will it really mighty my penis, man?

Alex Trebek: It's not a product, Mr. Connery.

Sean Connery: Because I've ordered devices like that before - wasted a pretty penny, I don't mind telling you. And if The Penis Mightier works, I'll order a dozen.

Alex Trebek: It's not a Penis Mightier, Mr. Connery. There's no such thing!

Nicholas Cage: Wait, wait, wait.. are you selling Penis Mightiers?

Alex Trebek: No! No, I'm not.

Sean Connery: Well, you're sitting on a gold mine, Trebek!

14. fencergal33

fencergal33 Rookie

I've read both...Douglas Adams rocks......but I know people who just don't get the humor.

15. Max

Max Rookie

Everybody knows Douglas, but Pratchett is far less known. Hey, this thread just inspired me to make a new one! Take hold of your pants, boyos! (Is that actually as gay sounding as it sounds? Did i just write a paradigm? Or was it a Paradox? Or a Parashoes? Is that a beaver?

16. onesandzeros

onesandzeros Rookie

Last edited: Jul 16, 2004
  17. Max

Max Rookie

Speaking once again about boring text games derived from the two aforementioned authors, go to discworld.imaginary.com- failing that, go to yahoo and search for discworld MUD. It's good. For a MUD. For the three of you who know what that is.
    And congrats to ones and zeroes for passing the 100 mark.

18. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

James...Branch...Cabell.

19. D'Artag-NOT

D'Artag-NOT Rookie

I've been reading Patrick O'Brian's novels Aubrey-Maturin novels. They're just wonderful--they recreate the world of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars, as well as presenting some of the finest characterizations around.

Shakespeare is always a favorite as well (great fencing scenes, of course! ;) ).

20. CvilleFencer

CvilleFencer Podium

For the SF fans David Webers Honor Harrington books do a great job of mixing space opera with a dash of naval history and tactics... if you can ingnore the telepathic cats. I also have been recently enjoying John Ringos Polseen War books and his March to the Stars/Sea/Upcountry books with Weber. Discworld is great, Robert Jordon is good for epee fencers (it takes patience) and of course there is always Tom Clancy. For lighter stuff that is not Discworld Robert Asprin's Myth series and Phules Company are good brain candy.