The Official Nike Shoes Thread

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by FoilyDeath, Oct 26, 2007.

1. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

News on the Ballestra front! I know this is an old thread, but it's the Official thread.

A friend of mine got a pair mid January. I thought he had just made a deal, found a pair on eBay, or something else like that. Apparently not. He said sometime in mid January the Nike site was stocked again, and he bought his from Nike. He said they sold out again in a couple days.

He also said they're listed as a production shoe, so the probability of more is not bad. I don't know why he thinks that, but he seems optimistic.

Furthermore, I've reached about the six month mark on my pair. They're still holding up very well, but not completely wear free fresh-out-of-the-box as they were hyped. I have some magic beans I'd like to sell to whoever thought that one was coming true, though.

I drag my foot, I'm abrading the white rubber surrounding the red that comes up to protect the side of the shoe. I don't know how thick it is, but I think I'm almost through it. It's going to need repair soon. I think it might be because my pair is a half size too big. If the ball of my foot were just a little more forward, I would be putting all the pressure on the thick red part. The tread of the shoe is also showing some wear, but not a lot. Everything else is in amazing condition.

All the cushioning and comfort promises seem to be true. My feet feel great after a day of fencing. I think I fenced 29 bouts in one day at a dual meet, and I didn't have a single blister, when earlier I would have had several very large blisters and bruises.

Anybody else have any stories? (Particularly relating to availibility)

2. Andrei

Andrei Rookie

I prefer Adidas.

3. TooLoftheDeviL

TooLoftheDeviL gother than thou

You're entitled to your wrong opinion ;)

4. Nolano

Nolano Rookie

I've always liked phrasing that as "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Even if it is wrong."

5. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

^
    Has not tried the Ballestras.

6. Superscribe

Superscribe Rookie

I would like to make a contention for most awesomest fencing shoe.

The Fila Prossimo 2 is something you all should very much look at.

That's right: Fila.

7. fatfencer

fatfencer Podium

How heavy is the ballestra?

anyone know?

8. academe

academe DE Bracket

Sneakerfreaker gives it about 275 grams (I think this is what Nike provides as a weight in its promotional materials.)

I can weigh a pair of size 9 or size 8.5 I have on my shelf if you want a "real world" measurement.

9. bigdawg2121

bigdawg2121 is a Verified Fencing Expertbigdawg2121 Podium

I always maintained that the prototype pairs we tested lasted through half an NCAA season (2/3rds meetwise). That's no where near 6mo. Given proper sizing should have been less of an issue/they still hold up like tanks compared to anything else. I don't remember seeing 6mo wear free mentioned but it seems...hopeful...for a production shoe.

That being said I'm pretty sure we got confirmation on deliveries for next season several months back. Probably means they're making shoes.