The Official Nike Shoes Thread

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by FoilyDeath, Oct 26, 2007.

1. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

It seems people are freaking out about the availability of the Nike shoes (offering to pay $300, being angry, etc). I had an exchange with Craig last night:

I've also called Nike about this, and the customer service rep told me they don't have any information about how many will be made, when, what the price will be, etc. They're just people who deal with sales problems.

If one does tell you that more will/will not be made, remember that large corporations typically have poor communication between departments. There's no guarantee the information is correct either way, but I would go with what Craig says, as he has a direct line to their management.

2. Nolano

Nolano Rookie

At least since they're selling out they'll hopefully realize that there is a real, albeit smaller than they're used to, demand for these.

3. hologramqueen

hologramqueen Rookie

ballestra bruhaha

well AGAIN, I called Nike today checking on my order.. still have not heard back from them past the initial email.. ordered last pair of 4.5's and they are supposed to overnight them to me.. Called today since they are supposed to go out today and they said that fedex hasn't updated and they had no tracking number to provide.. but he said that I will have them tomorrow... ok, not holding my breath as I don't like to pass out... then I said because I am a glutton for punishment, "when are they going to get more sizes in?" he said that NIKE HAS discontinued the Ballestra and are NOT going to make any more.,...OK, confused... I thought that someone said they are going to make more?,.,,.,.,.,.,.,GRRRRRRRR.... I don't get it....

4. darius

darius Podium

Lots of kvetching, not much doing. I sent the following along via Nike's customer service form:

Those of you who would like to follow suit, feel free. Those of you who'd rather just kvetch on the internet, feel free. Remember, they don't necessarily have as much direct-to-consumer experience. Much of how big retail works is that they can't anger their main clients (the retail stores where you buy most of your mainstream products), so investing heavily in a direct-sales presence is probably not their main concern. It's important that they know that word-of-mouth and direct sales is a friendly place for them, but pitchforks won't be appreciated -- if you're going to talk to them, be gentle.

darius

5. hologramqueen

hologramqueen Rookie

got em

daughter #1 got hers today.. are they supposed to have 08-08-08 down the back seam? cool touch! plus they have a white heel and not the blue like the website shows.. but they are awesome and lightweight.. Daughter loves them, used them at practice tonight.. said "they are like buttah!" unfortunately daughter #2 is not happy with #1.. she didn't get hers, sold out.... :(
    from a mothers perspective, they are light weight, look put together well and are competively priced with the Viktoria's and Adidas..

6. Phrogger

Phrogger DE Bracket

Two reviews for the Ballestra have shown up on the Nike website. How about swamping them with reviews, too?

BTW I also sent comments on the customer service form. It couldn't hurt.

7. Barry Paul

Barry Paul DE Bracket

I think some fencers are being a little unreasonable about Nike concern/motive for producing a fencing shoe. They had a marketing strategy to gain market share and over take Adidas in China. and to achieve this part of the strategy was to sponsor the Chinese Olympic team with shoes for every Olympic sport.

They have achieved their Chinese Marketing Goal with total Sales in China now at about 1.2 Billion Dollars.

So do the bean counters care about selling 2000 pairs of fencing shoes against their total world wide sales of 500.000,000 or so pairs of shoes? Probably not!

8. Phrogger

Phrogger DE Bracket

Maybe they don't care. But that doesn't stop us from trying to make them! :mutant:

9. Pescados666

Pescados666 Rookie

A better idea... Do you think we could convince Shop-Foco to sell them at a cheaper price? :rolleyes:

10. rgulot01

rgulot01 Rookie

Ratings

I agree. Anyone who bought them - please post ratings. At the very least it will show interest in the product. I just posted a rating, it takes like 2 minutes.

11. bigdawg2121

bigdawg2121 is a Verified Fencing Expertbigdawg2121 Podium

Maybe this was their goal, maybe not, but you can't really blame people for caring. Frankly if all Nike wanted was larger market share in China they could have done so without sponsoring the Olympics (the WHOLE Olympics, not just the Chinese team....the shoes for every sport were actually for everyone). They could have just sponsored China. They could have signed endorsement deals with all of the major NBA schools or NCAA teams for sports the Chinese watch etc....wait...

12. Barry Paul

Barry Paul DE Bracket

What do mean by 'if Nike wanted a larger market share' they are not a charity they are in business to make money.
    Nike did not sponsor the Olympics, Adidas did, I presume they were out bid, leaving Nike to pursue a different marketing strategy.

13. rac

rac Rookie

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  14. hologramqueen

hologramqueen Rookie

going, going GONE!

well, the Ballestra's are off of the Nike website.. what happened to the 500 per month they were supposed to start making?
    Was at a tournament yesterday, and they were the talk of the town! it was nice to see the interest in the shoe but its truely dumb to pull these...

15. TooLoftheDeviL

TooLoftheDeviL gother than thou

http://www.fencing.net/links/ballestra.php ?

16. rac

rac Rookie

17. Shiro

Shiro Rookie

because they just went completely out of stock

they had always had at least one size of the pinks so you could search for it

18. Coldfire

Coldfire Podium

So whatever happened with these? Wasn't Nike supposed to make more? They havent been in stock for awhile.

19. Empty Wallet

Empty Wallet Podium

Hi Craig and people with contacts,

do you have any further news on these little glass slippers?

I found this article on the AP site and have extracted a worrrying quote http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g-0MUJmauuXzGZX7CNd2GOWekzhQD93C4T600

it would focus on six key categories to reach a $23 billion revenue goal by 2011. Those categories are running, soccer, basketball, men's training and women's training and sportswear.

I don't remember which category they fell under, but sure it was not any of these.

The main article talks about withdrawing from swimming, but I was concerned about the niche markets.

20. Phrogger

Phrogger DE Bracket

I read the article and interpreted it as Nike didn't want to spend high levels of research and development money on sports other than those you mentioned. It seems to imply that they aren't going to stop making those "other" products. Since the Ballestra shoes have already been designed and made, there's still a chance of production. I don't, however, think they will be making any new models to compete with Adidas.

What really makes me sick is this quote:

That's "absurd" as in way too little. Do our athletes even get a stipend? I doubt it.