Tell me what you think

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Kalledix, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Kalledix

Kalledix Rookie

Here’s a little something I wrote when I was in Wuxi this summer.

I had quite a lot of time on my hands there. This is the result.

https://link.medium.com/3cQxitEVlR

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    mfp and Emfuser like this.
  2. Mergs

Mergs Podium

I think that without content about the topic and the fact that you just joined the forum today, I think it's clickbait, spam or malware. And, no, I didn't open it.

3. Kalledix

Kalledix Rookie

Well, thank you for your warm welcome to this comnunity. I’ll be sure never to post anything again.

But if you want to know before you click, it’s a text about what i consider to be the essence of fencing.

I don’t expect you to like it.

Best regards,
    Kalle Dixelius
    Head of PR, Swedish Fencing Federation

4. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Given the amount of spam the board gets and the extremely minimal info you posted on the actual thread, Mergs' critique is well-founded.

More information without having to click on a link is generally better for your first post on any board...otherwise it looks like a spambot and a possible virus.

5. Kalledix

Kalledix Rookie

Ok, I’m sorry. I’ll edit my first post.

6. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Utestående! Så uttrycksfull!:cool:Some editorial suggestions: change "zenith of my car*rier*" to "car*eer*". Change the "f-" profanity for wider publication possibilities. Change "Lithuanian coach who noticeably drunk and with a kneeling walk" and "this deviant being in the often conform world of sports" which don't make sense in Standard English. I completely agree with the Swedish elite coach's prospective students frank analysis. Ditt skrivna stycke är så bråttom!:)You *must* submit this to USA's "Sports Illustrated" - our premier sports magazine.

Kalledix likes this.
  7. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

For all you paranoid folks out there, this is a real fencing article about Wuxi and fencing in general as a unique sport. Also, medium.com is not exactly known as a hotbed of malware or viruses.

Kalledix likes this.
  8. mfp

mfp Podium

A good, fun read -- thanks for sharing it!

A couple of random thoughts after reading it ...

Your interview with the Swedish coach tells us more about the limitations of that coach than the kids he complains about.

You mention you're the Head of PR, Swedish Fencing Federation. Perhaps you could share your "Smell of Fencing" article with USA Fencing PR / marketing. Point out how their upcoming National competition is in Cincinnati, the home of Procter & Gamble, a laundry and personal care products multi-national.

Kalledix likes this.
  9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

The original and unedited post made no reference to fencing or Wuxi. It read exactly like a link to something bad, hence Mergs’ response and my support of it.

Kalledix likes this.
  10. Kalledix

Kalledix Rookie

Thank you!

Exactly what I need. I changed the sentence about the Lithuanian coach to "I sense it when I watch the Lithuanian coach stumble into the hotel’s elevator an early afternoon, after God knows how many glasses of vodka" and the one about the deviant being to "But precisely this differentness in the conform world of sports, is also a huge asset."

Does this make more sense?

11. Kalledix

Kalledix Rookie

Good idea! Thank you for kind words.

12. Mac A. Bee

Still nonsensical.:(Did you mean "conformist"?
    Our marketing director is Bill Korbus and our communications director is Nicole Jomantas.

13. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

I understood that when I entered the thread, as it had already been edited. I still thought it prudent to clarify that at least someone had indeed clicked the link and confirmed it to be OK.

14. Mac A. Bee

Clicked. Confirmed.

15. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

The smell of fencing...ah...

I conclude that the author is---an epeeist. ;)

( I still loved the article, though. )

16. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Inq, your disdain for the epee is legendary!!

Coaches' complaints must be an internationally shared emotion:
    “I mean, they can barely run. They’ve been sitting down all their lives and have no physique, no coordination, no will to move at all. Naturally they’re welcome to the club — everyone’s welcome — but I can’t build an elite fencer from a kid like that”, said the coach,

Think I heard this years ago here in the SF Bay Area
    where coaches were being forced to teach youngsters how
    to play physically as well as with their thumbs on a smart phone.

17. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Kalle,

Thank you for a wonderful read. I agree that this should be shared with the US Fencing community.

I would agree with you that most of us in this sport are, as the coach that I work with says, "a bit broken in many ways", and that this sport attracts, as you say, 'deviants'. I came to the sport late (relatively) in life, but for many of the same reasons that brought you to the sport earlier in life. I had done many sports growing up - swimming, diving, track, football, soccer, baseball, basketball (which those of you on this forum who have met me in person will snicker at), riding, shooting, archery and golf, but it was fencing that has been my love. I can relate to your descriptions of the "thrill of victory and the agony of defeat" you describe. Again, thank you for putting into words that which many of us feel.

As for my original response to your post, given the way it was originally posted, I stand by it. As amended, I would have certainly reacted differently.

Regards,

Michael "Mergs" Mergens

P.S if you see Peter Gustafson, please tell him hello for me. It has been a while since we've seen anything from him.

18. Kalledix

Kalledix Rookie

Never mind. I’m sorry I reacted a bit harshly to your post.

/Kalle

19. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

Way good; I forwarded a link to all my coaches.

20. AndI

AndI Rookie

Very well written! Thank you for sharing!
    I laughed at your phrase "But the thing is, I loved sports. I still love sports."
    It so much reminds of a memorable quote from a recent ugly political event here in the US :)

erik_blank likes this.