TdF news...

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by darius, Jul 17, 2004.

1. darius

darius Podium

Tyler Hamilton is out of the race with back problems! That sucks; he was supposed to challenge Armstrong this year.

The Tour de Lance is underway, but good for Thomas Voekler -- he got dropped on every big climb, but still made it back to the main pack to keep the maillot jaunce for another day.

Looks like those who said a slimmer Ullrich was a good thing were wrong; he does look weak. And Mayo seems to be hurting too. I wonder if anybody will be able to close that gap. So far, the race-within-a-race looks to be Ivan Basso and Lance; the final two stages have ended Basso-Armstrong and Armstrong-Basso, and he's only about 2 mins off the lead. Here's hoping for a good races -- Col des Limoges is Tue, and the time trial up L'Alpe d'Huez is Wed.

darius

2. Zelda

Zelda Rookie

My prediction for the green jersey? An aussie!!! As for the yellow, as much as I like Lance Armstrong I would love to see someone else win it for a change. They have had hideously unseasonal weather in the first week or so, if it keeps up it will make the mountains a very interesting race.

3. Dar Tanyon

Dar Tanyon Rookie

Lance will win.

4. DJ Apostrophe

DJ Apostrophe Podium

Looks like lance has it pretty well in hand.
    he won his third stage in a row today, his fourth overall in the tour... I think he'll add another one with the individual time trial coming up...

best line seen anywhere about the tour:
    "Once in the Pyrénées for two hard climbing stages, Armstrong punched the accelerator with his trademark high-cadence rhythm, and the favorites fell away like the French defending Paris." - Andrew Hood on espn.com

5. darius

darius Podium

Lance was going to let Landis win the stage. Unfortunately, the rest of the competitors didn't cooperate -- that 8 sec time bonus for a stage win could factor into the race for the other podium spots. Lance is known for his mountain and time-trial work, but that was an amazing sprint at the end!

Assuming he wins this time, dunno if he'll go for 7 next year, but some of his domestiques will be hot commodities for other teams. Azevedo, especially, is a threat to win the entire race, so he could defect to a team that will let him be the star, instead of the wingman.

darius

6. esskreemr

esskreemr Din Älskling

The Tour De Lance is not over, but the Fat Lady is standing at the side and waiting for her que...

7. D+F+P=Hadouken!

D+F+P=Hadouken! Rookie

I think that lance armstrong is like a beacon of hope for middle aged people who thought that only young people can be fit. He needs to win this one, and then hang it up. Alot of people look up to him.

8. darius

darius Podium

I hope he keeps riding until somebody finds a weakness -- he won last year despite chronic dehyration in the early stages, and a nasty spill in the Alps.

darius

9. Peach

Peach Podium

Hate to break it to you, but he's not middle-aged yet. Just a grown-up.

10. D+F+P=Hadouken!

D+F+P=Hadouken! Rookie

Sorry, I havent done the research. I just know that he isnt in his teens, and he is past his physical peak. I assume he is in his early thirties, which is past most athletes physical peak. I phrased my last post incorrectly. Sorry.

11. The0ne

The0ne Rookie

actually your physical peak for endurance sports can extend into your mid to late 30s (I think I read this somewhere). . . Lance is definitely not "over the hill"

12. Peach

Peach Podium

Oh, gosh, that's all right, don't mind me. It just made me giggle, because I'm at the age where people have stopped even trying to tell me I'm NOT middle-aged :cool:, Armstrong is in his early 30s (32?), which is prime for his type of sport.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  13. D+F+P=Hadouken!

D+F+P=Hadouken! Rookie

All i know is that I hit my physical peak last week, and i've sprained every muscle since then.