Summer Nationals entry sizes

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Ancientepee, May 16, 2019.

1. teacup

teacup Podium

I was not suggesting awarding points to everyone, just everyone who earns them to whatever percentage or threshold is determined, the same as is done now. (That's why I added the asterisk to my post.) I just added further clarification to my post.

2. teacup

teacup Podium

SYCs award "national" points to all competitors who earn them and open to everyone. However added cadet events while open to everyone only award "regional" points to cadets from the region where the SYC is held.

Please explain how an SYC that is almost the same size as a NAC, has fencers from all over the country and awards "national" points is a "regional" event while the cadet events fenced at the same time with many of the same fencers is a "regional" event and only awards regional points to only competitors from that region?

And please whenever I post "awards points", I am referring to the current system of awarding points to a percentage of the field, complete brackets or whatever is currently done but asking about who is eligible to get those points and whether the points are national or regional.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    jdude97 likes this.
  3. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

I think they are determined by fencers' divisions. The divisions are set by home address or location of home club, fencer's choice. Fencers in school can choose school's division or their family home's division, again fencer's choice.

4. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

I don't get why it would be a big drain on resources to award points to everyone or to more events. I just competed in my first USA table tennis tournament. They use Elo ratings. Within 2 weeks, they calculated by new Elo rating based on how I did in the tournament (including even the set scores) and who I went against. USFA just gets final results complete with USFA numbers. How hard would it be to have a spreadsheet tracking the points for each place? And I think people saying for all points don't mean to include local events as some have proposed under some pseudo-Elo system, but rather just all regional and national events.

5. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Fencers often keep their own spreadsheets and keep up with team points standings, because errors get made. Even mistakes as minor as not updating a fencer’s division can take all season to get corrected (apparently it doesn’t automatically draw from current membership data).

6. teacup

teacup Podium

Fencers also keep spreadsheets of team points as those aren’t posted until later.
    Though I doubt anyone keeps spreadsheets of regional points.

7. naysayernyc

naysayernyc Made the Cut

The new 2019-2020 event format is out. It is posted fully in the
    2019-20 National Event Format Updates forum.

I guess they decided that getting as many kids as possible to participate was more important than getting everybody a DE. As an example it would eliminate the bottom 95 (27%) kids before DE's to get to 256 (351-256=95) for Y14MF traditionally one of the largest events at Nationals and the youth NAC. I think this will lead to even more disputes with refs with pushy parents of fencers not doing well because each point will potentially be the difference between an early day of no DE and moving on. When everybody advances to DE's whether you move up or down a few spots doesn't motivate parents to argue so much. If a reasonably good fencer has a bad pool day or had a few questionable calls go against them he might not get to the DE if he doesn't argue all the close ones. I expect more parents and/or fencers get black cards and arguments between aggressive coaches and refs to escalate to the pool round instead of just at the DE level.

Rainbow and jdude97 like this.
  8. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

For the benefit of the number freaks, attached is an update of very first posting on this thread (which has drifted) with the numbers as of the morning after the late fee deadline. There were about 150 individual late entries and 18 team late entries. I'm also attaching a report of approximately how many fencers will be competing each day. On this second report, I'm multiplying the number of team entries by 3 to get the number of fencers.

Attached Files:

9. lovefoil

lovefoil Made the Cut

when are check-in times published? it is already more than 2 weeks after regular entry deadline...

10. bbower

bbower DE Bracket

Ancientpee will be along shortly to explain to you about the all the complex things that go into scheduling summer nationals that your puny mind obviously never comprehended.

Duideed likes this.
  11. lovefoil

lovefoil Made the Cut

got it, got it... question still remains WHEN...

12. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

I believe the only correct answer is "soon..."?

lovefoil likes this.
  13. lovefoil

lovefoil Made the Cut

14. lovefoil

lovefoil Made the Cut

15. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Two days of 8 am starts. Lovely. -_-

16. Zebra

Zebra Podium

You can start drinking earlier....

17. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

No 8AMs for me! Hooray. I may be able to just make it two day trips and save on a hotel.