Summer Nationals Day Schedule Up!

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by hello?, Feb 17, 2012.

1. hello?

hello? Podium

2. Peach

Peach Podium

Thanks for posting! As usual, I have two events that are not next to one another :) I'm assuming LAX is the most suitable airport.

3. hello?

hello? Podium

I heard that LAX was NOT the best place, but can't remember now which airport people had said was the better alternative. Santa Ana? (Only posting this most unhelpful answer in case you were thinking of booking your tickets right away. :) )

4. Peach

Peach Podium

I looked at flights but haven't booked yet. John Wayne (SNA) is the closest one, but I'd have to do a connecting flight. LAX is dreadful, but direct. All alternatives seem horrid, as usual :)

5. hello?

hello? Podium

Horrid from Boston as well. As you posted in another thread, I go there to fence, not to see the sights...so I would have much rather had the convenience of Texas. Oh well. (At least there will be vendors there when I fence, for a change.)

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

You could also fly into Ontario or Burbank. Probably more expensive financially than LAX, but TONS less stressfull....getting in and out of LAX is a nightmare at the best of times.

7. bigdawg2121

bigdawg2121 Podium

Wow. With this schedule I might be able to skip close to a week.

8. fencerX

fencerX Rookie

Really?

BOS-LGB nonstops are available on Jetblue, at decent fares, with first bag free.

9. Peach

Peach Podium

Darn. From Philly LGB is twice as expensive as LAX.

10. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Without breaks to eat or sleep? Truly a feat of physical prowess! :jester:

11. catwood1

catwood1 Podium

Schedule seems odd to me. A polar opposite of what we consistently saw a few years ago.

12. dcrocket

dcrocket DE Bracket

Yes. And it means that some of us will have legs when we fence this time.

13. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

Are you looking for flights in June/July or flights in March/April? The actual low priced airfares don't get released until about 3 months before travel and are usually valid if available until between 21 and 10 days before travel. Before then, airlines figure if you want a ticket that far in advance you're willing to pay extra to get it.

14. Peach

Peach Podium

Oh, I'm aware. I've also found that certain proportions tend to stay constant and that if I wait long enough I can no longer get the direct flight to the close airport, or the aisle seat. Plus I get backed up at work and miss the window even though I have alerts set up. But based on experience, I'm comfortable with my under-$300 Virgin PHL-LAX flight. And now I don't have to think about it any more.

15. teacup

teacup Podium

Southwest fares for all LA area airports can be booked six months in advance. If the fares go down, one can always rebook and use the credit for a future flight.

16. Emfuser

Emfuser Made the Cut

In for the annual avalanche of complaints from people for whom the schedule is inconvenient. Some times it works out in your favor, sometimes not.

17. Peach

Peach Podium

No complaints here. My only two events have two days in between them, not much better than last year when I decided the cost didn't warrant staying for the IA, but it's Anaheim and I want to go to Disneyland. I realize USA Fencing lost quite a chunk of money when they moved SN to Anaheim, but for me it worked out. Besides, I've been to Dallas. Repeatedly. I've never been to Anaheim.

18. ladyofshalott99

ladyofshalott99 DE Bracket

I actually flew through this airport (Wayne/SNA) once to attend a conference at the venue hotel. It was VERY easy to get in/out, and the Super Shuttle was *maybe* a 15-20 minute ride to the venue. Any other airport, ANY time of day, you *will* get caught in traffic. Even at 2am.

Do not underestimate LA.

19. ladyofshalott99

ladyofshalott99 DE Bracket

...You do know I booked our hotel three months ago, right? I did this to minimize your complaining about our events being scheduled so inconvienently far apart. :p

-EDIT-

<looks up schedule>
    <looks up events>
    <looks up dates actually reserved>

...Dang it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  20. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Don't worry about taking a cab, then....the park is across the street from the convention center.