Summer Fencing Camp Recommendations for 12-Year-Old

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by pghmom, Apr 28, 2015.

1. pghmom

pghmom Rookie

Our son is a competitive fencer with 16 months experience. He is nationally ranked, but only in the middle tier. We are looking for a good summer camp, either domestically or abroad, for a younger competitive fencer. We keep finding camps that are geared towards beginner or near-beginner fencers or older teenage fencers. Has anyone found a camp that is challenging but not too intimidating for a non-teenager?

2. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

Have you asked your son's coach?

B

3. pghmom

pghmom Rookie

They push their own club's program, which clearly is geared to beginners or sometimes includes the same small group of fencers that he fences each day.

4. Diesel

Diesel Made the Cut

What do you want to get out of a camp? My experience is that keeping up the regular club training over the summer with additional lessons and perhaps an extra day or two of practice (given the lack of school concerns) is a better bet to advance a child's skills than a camp. Most coaches won't advocate another club's camp because it messes with their training. Having said that, a camp can be a great social activity and it promotes independence. Be a little more specific about what your child wants to get out of it and you'll get some good advice here.

Cheers,

5. pghmom

pghmom Rookie

Our child's club is dead for most of the summer with everyone going on vacations. We are looking to continue at least five-day-a week training with pretty intensive training (five or so hours a day) with competitive-level fencers who will provide new challenges. He is at a very small club and fencing the same people over and over. He is young though so we don't want him to be the only pre-teen in a group of high schoolers or older.

6. swordwench

swordwench is a Verified Fencing Expertswordwench Podium

Knowing what weapon your son fences, and what area of the country you are in (or want to attend camp in) would help a lot.

7. kmecke

kmecke Made the Cut

If he fences epee, take a look at the NYFA summer sleep away camp. The club itself has a large number of good young fencers, Y-10, Y-12, on up.
    DS is not at that club, but we run into them everywhere. They're an especially fun group and take their fencing seriously - a good combination.

8. CrestonB

CrestonB Podium

Don't want to bag on anyone....but a 12 year old doing 5 hours of training 5 days a week? I am jealous that I can't do that myself, but sure does seem a lot for a 12 year old. Congrats.

9. Diesel

Diesel Made the Cut

Lol....I wondered about that too, but I figured the camp/coach would sort that out.

10. pghmom

pghmom Rookie

No, no! He doesn't fence five hours a day during the school year -- we're looking for a serious summer camp that would allow him to fence five hours a day (i.e. not a recreational camp for beginner fencers).

11. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

See my reply in the other thread you created on this topic...

12. NYFA

NYFA Rookie

Thanks for your kind words! We do have a great group of competitive youth fencers. It sounds like the OP's son would fit right in at our camps if he fences epee.