Summer Camp Recommendations for 12-Year-Old

Discussion in 'Parent's Corner' started by pghmom, Apr 28, 2015.

1. pghmom

pghmom Rookie

Our son is a competitive fencer with 16 months experience. He is nationally ranked, but only in the middle tier. We are looking for a good summer camp, either domestically or abroad, for a younger competitive fencer. We keep finding camps that are geared towards beginner or near-beginner fencers or older teenage fencers. Has anyone found a camp that is challenging but not too intimidating for a non-teenager?

2. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

I think Fencers Club's Berkshires program takes 12-year olds (though they will pretty much the youngest kids at the camp). Princeton's program (which offer a pre-nationals session) states that campers must be entering 7th grade (through 12th) to attend. We have experience with both overnight camps and recommend both for youth in all weapons.

If your son is an epeeist, the Alliance (Houston, Texas) camps look like they offer program for Y12s and under in addition to a program for Y14s and up...with several sessions before and after Summer Nationals. Alliance is the home of 2 of the current National Team coaches, and though we have no direct experience, I've heard the camps draw some of the country's best. No formal overnight program like those above...but I hear they can help with host families. Or you could stay in a hotel nearby.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  3. sylphs

sylphs Rookie

Fencer's club's camp is great; MIT is fun so was U of Penn; Penn State and Brown they give you an on campus experience if your child thinks they may want to fence in college they have an opportunity to live in dorms; eat in cafeteria; fence in venue and meet coaches way before NCAA allows them to talk about college fencing and they are a great 1-2 week sleep away experience (you can do day camp if parents stay near by). all of these camps are for experienced fencers your son will be fine we did them for the past 4 years

4. shana

shana Rookie

I was wondering if you did the camp? I am thinking of sending my 12 year old this year.

5. Rainbow

Rainbow Rookie

Just bumping this up as I start to think ahead for summer 2017... Would love to hear about recent fencing camp experiences, including possibly the Leon Paul camp or other opportunities in Europe. I have a girl fencing foil who would be considered advanced; she'll be fencing Y14 and Cadet in the following season. She has not been away from home before, though, and would probably do better in a camp with more structure/guidance outside of training time. Thanks!

6. Marci

Marci Rookie

This summer will be my daughter's 4th year doing the Princeton camp. She loves it! It's a lot of conditioning, footwork and bouting. They don't try to change the way that she fences which makes her coach happy. She has always done the sleep away camp right before Summer Nationals and has had excellent finishes with medals at Summer Nats. She likes the camp a lot because she feels very safe and gets tons of practice allowing her to peak at Summer Nats. The girls are kept in one dorm and the boys are kept in another dorm and they aren't drinking like she has heard other fencers doing at other camps. It's a really good group of kids that go and they all seem to have such a good time.

Rainbow and chrisoplum like this.
  7. David Sierra

David Sierra DE Bracket

What weapon does your child fence? Thats a key question.

8. Rainbow

Rainbow Rookie

Thanks for the info - sounds wonderful. Are the weapons equally represented? D's club does a pre-SN camp, so we were thinking of sending her later in the summer.

9. liulymai

liulymai Rookie

Tks all the info wonderful.

10. JustAMom

JustAMom Rookie

Any recommendations for competitive older kids (16-18)? Or are camps mainly for younger fencers?

11. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

Has anyone sent their kid to that the camp in Naucelles France that is occasionally promoted on this site?

12. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

Mine didn't go to a fencing camp (*), but I would think that camps at a college (like the Penn camp) or connected with a college coach would be helpful for high school age fencers. Get an idea of what college coaching is like, maybe get a feel for campus life, and get onto the coaches' radar. I think an experience like that would be good even if your fencer doesn't expect to be an NCAA recruit.

*--he had a summer job but he would regularly practice Saturdays during the school year with the college club.

JustAMom likes this.
  13. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Manhattan FC, Penn, Brown, Princeton, Fencers Club and many others offer higher level sleep away camps, usually summer (plus a week-long day camp over winter break in the case of MFC). If you or your fencer is a member of USFA, watch your email this spring for advertisements for various camps. You should also check the tables near the check-in kiosks at the spring NACs, which will be groaning under the weight of advertisements for opportunities to send your money to a fencing camp ;)

JustAMom and SevenDad like this.
  14. saberist

saberist Rookie

I can only speak for saber. Manhattan Fencing Center has a sleep away camp every summer at the end of August for one week. For competitive fencers, many elite fencers, including a few Olympians would participate in the camp. Therefore it would be a great experience for any level fencers, but especially for very strong competitive fencers who would like the challenge.

JustAMom likes this.