Sources of high quality fencing video

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by ixid, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ixid

ixid Rookie

What are good sources of high level fencing bout videos with the intent of watching to improve? Specifically epee. I find it rather hard to tell what happened in low quality YouTube clips. It doesn't appear to be possible to buy the Olympic 2012 fencing footage which is a pity.

2. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

Fievideos on youtube. If you can't tell what's going on with the footage there I'm not sure what extra you're getting from your pixels.

Also look around for the BBC Olympics footage (which is all HD).

Google is your friend.

3. cdn-epeeist

cdn-epeeist Made the Cut

4. Bonehead

Bonehead Podium

If that's the BBC commentary, he's actually a coach, though you wouldn't know it from some of his commentary.

5. ixid

ixid Rookie

>If you can't tell what's going on with the footage there I'm not sure what extra you're getting from your pixels.

You can't even see what the blades did half the time at 360p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcxbSo5PD2c&feature=plcp

That's the most recent epee video and it's hard to follow exactly what the motions are.

6. cdn-epeeist

cdn-epeeist Made the Cut

No, I don't think it is; this guy knows absolutely nothing and says the most amazing things especially when he's commenting on foil where he doesn't really understand right of way and just barely realises that the white light means off target. It's also clear that he has no clue what the director is saying, which means that the best he can do for commentary is babble until the score gets changed in which case he randomly chooses among a few stock phrases like "parries and gets the point" or "attacks and gets the point" independent of what the action was. In one of the videos he talks about "the French referee" (who wasn't actually French) apparently not having noticed that all the referees direct in French.

In the videos of the finals much of the commentary is done by Karim Bashir, who definitely does know what he's talking about.

7. cdn-epeeist

cdn-epeeist Made the Cut

The quality of the FIE videos indeed varies depending on the competition. Their videos of the 2011 World Championships is fantastic, as is their video of the 2012 European Championships.

And the quality here: http://www.youtube.com/user/olympic?v=WOoUS_AxjvI for example,

which is the semi finals of the London 2012 ME, is excellent.

8. multum in parvo

multum in parvo Made the Cut

Wow, the commentator in the Kelsey Limardo Semi has no clue. First period, the two test guards, the ref is about to call ready fence then calls halt for some technical reason. The commentator says "well, the ref has already called noncombativity ... what? Oh, I thought he was ... ."

Surely there are some fencers with media training who could do this, it's the Olympics for crying out loud.

9. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

If the situation in Great Britain is anything like it is in the US, it is actually possible for both of you to be right.

10. Colonel Kolobkov

Colonel Kolobkov Rookie

Like cdn-epeeist said, watch London fencing uploaded by the user olympic. MUUUUCH better quality.
    In addition to the semis and medal bouts link he posted, here are the preliminaries up to quarterfinals:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xEtruclCk

11. Degenmeister

Degenmeister Rookie

12. ixid

ixid Rookie

Thank you, these are excellent videos.

13. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Sadly this is only the yellow strip, and searching for similar titles does not bring up the other three.

OP has a point, it would be nice to assemble a list of direct links to HD videos by weapon.

K O'N

14. akm418

akm418 Rookie

The YouTube channel Cyrusofchaos has a bunch of épée videos. The more recent can be turned up to 1080p and there are some with annotated commentaries! I pretty much exclusively used his channel when I just started fencing and it really helped! I recommend his NCAA videos as well

15. ladyofshalott99

ladyofshalott99 DE Bracket

Somewhat related--Any recommendations on HD camcorders specific for this purpose? I'm working on a project. :)