Software Scoring Machine

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by reawl, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Joe biebel

Joe biebel Podium

2. griffindm

griffindm DE Bracket

3. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

The latest software revision (1.4) is on the website:

http://www.swashbucklersfencing.com/VSM.htm

It's 21 megs and includes the user manual.

• Highlights of Version 1.4:
    • No more Advanced/Basic dichotomy, the "registration code" is eliminated.
    • Any ".wav" sound file can be associated with any sound-generating event. (Left and right sides can be different)
    • All timing parameters can be configured and saved by the user.
    • Auto-clock and self-scoring via weaponry is implemented.
    • Quick-Foil is invented and included.
    • Bonus program: "Melee!" is invented and included.
    • The user manual has been updated too.

-- JS Hart

4. Pescados666

Pescados666 Rookie

Sweet! My parts for the adapter came today so this is perfect timing :D

5. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

configuration editor

vsm_config.jpg

This is a screen shot of the configuration sub-program.

6. Pescados666

Pescados666 Rookie

Instead of using 2 6VDC 500mA power supplies, could I use one 12VDC 1000mA power supply?

7. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

Sadly, no. There have to be two independent power sources so that anti-blocking will work.

8. Pescados666

Pescados666 Rookie

Ah. Alright then. I'll have to look around to see if I have any. My old speakers had the 12v one, that's why I asked. Thanks!

9. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

If you are going to have to order two new 6-volt AC/DC adapters then you might consider making a couple of 6-volt battery packs using four AA, C or D cells in series instead.

10. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

Batteries should work, but don't go over 6 vdc. The power supplies have to be 6 vdc regulated and I used 500 ma -- but 300 ma should be plenty. The docs have the Jameco part number of the ones I used. I don't think batteries are a great idea because you'll always wonder if they're going dead and you'll spend more money replacing them than you save by not buying the power supplies. I considered using power supplies and rechargable batteries so that I could avoid needing an the extra outlet... but I never did. I didn't want to have a bigger heavier adapter than I already had, and I figured I'd realistically always have my laptop plugged in any way, and extension cords with multiple outlets are cheap.

11. telkanuru

telkanuru Podium

You can also scam free parts off of Semiconductor companies as free samples.

Not that I have ever done so.

12. Pescados666

Pescados666 Rookie

But it's not scamming if you are using them as free samples.

I won't be needing batteries as this will be reletively close to my house. Besides, I can't afford a lot of batteries right now since I have to still buy the controller and $450 worth of gear for next year. I also have no source of income so I hope that I find a few $100 bills laying around...:rolleyes:

13. oso97

oso97 Rookie

How is this project working for sabre now? Last I remember there were still bugs in the sabre scheme...

14. Pescados666

Pescados666 Rookie

I was going to etch my pattern into the protoboard, but that wasn't working. So I'm going to take off all the copper and hand wire it. It'll work the same, but I'll have to hot glue things together. It's a ***** getting all the copper off...

15. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

Saber has been much better since version 1.2 where I re-coded all the hit detection algorithms.

16. Joe biebel

Joe biebel Podium

The new VSM "games" for foil and the additional features like larger lights are great. The game "melee" seriously exhausted us, and forced us to think "outside the box". I had no idea how much I hit off-target until I played this game. I can't wait to try "quick-foil". Keep up the innovations Shawn.

The regular VSM program for foil is excellent. Since we have four of these units running on four strips, it's really nice to have a completely different hit indication sound associated with each machine. This is something that even the most sophisticated scoring machines do not currently have. I am running out of ideas and suggestions for improvements. Perhaps members of this forum can add to your "honey-do" list with improvements or other clever training games.

17. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Looking at the timing parameters in the version 1.4 documentation, I noticed there is nothing in there about the whip over prevention in saber.

There is a requirement that whenever there is blade-to-blade contact immediately prior to a touch arriving in saber, the touch will not register as valid if it both arrives and ends within a certain time interval after initial blade-to-blade contact (currently between 4 and 15 ms). These settings have been tweaked many times since the introduction of electric saber so it seems like they might benefit from being made user-adjustable.

18. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

The whip over inhibit is not in the config screen because I am not able to implement it using the current hacked-gamepad-based adapter. It's an artifact of having to detect all events simultaneously rather than sequentially. I had to decide what was more important to implement: whip-over or anti-blocking, and I chose anti-blocking. My current goal is to redesign the adapter using custom hardware and firmware to eliminate the few limitations this has imposed and to allow the adapter to be manufactured commercially.

19. Pescados666

Pescados666 Rookie

20. Pescados666

Pescados666 Rookie

I've encountered a problem and need some help... I'm not sure where it is that I screwed up with my hand wiring.

When in saber* mode:

Normal: No lights lit on P220 properties.
    Right lame to Right blade: 4 is lit on P220 properties.
    Left lame to Left blade: No lights lit on P220 properties.
    Right lame to Left blade: 6 is lit on P220 properties.
    Left lame to Right blade: 3 and 4 are lit on P220 properties.​

For Foil/epee:

Normal: 1, 2 and 7 are lit on P220 properties.
    Left lame to Left blade: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 8 are lit on P220 properties.
    Right lame to Right blade: 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 are lit on P220 properties.
    Right lame to Left blade (not depressing tip): 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, and 8 are lit on P220 properties.
    Left lame to Right blade (not depressing tip): 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 are lit on P220 properties.
    Right lame to Left blade (depressing tip): 2, 4, 6, and 8 are lit on P220 properties.
    Left lame to Right blade (depressing tip): 1, 3, 5, and 7 are lit on P220 properties.
    Right blade to Left blade: 1, 2, 7, and 8 are lit on P220 properties.​

For saber* in the VSM software:

Normal: When first turning on, 2 off targets but goes away after a second or two.
    Left lame to Right blade: Score for right, ground on left.
    Right lame to Left blade: Score for left.
    Right lame to Right blade: Ground on Right.
    Left lame to Left blade: No lights.​

For Foil/epee in VSM software:

Normal: No lights.
    Left lame to Right blade (not depressing tip): No lights.
    Right lame to Left blade (not depressing tip): 2 grounds, but dull yellow. Doesn't go away.
    Left lame to Left blade: Ground left.
    Right lame to Right blade: No lights.
    Left lame to Right blade (depressing tip): Score right.
    Right lame to Left blade (depressing tip): 2 grounds, but dull yellow. Doesn't go away.​

*Saber tests done with Foils.

I tried to make it as easy as possible to see the information. My circuit board soldering sucks right now, but my wire soldering is much better, so I hand wired it. I apparently confused myself and did something wrong, or screwed up on the switch?
    Tell me if you need any more information, I think I got it all though.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008