Soft-covered Chest Protectors for SN & Beyond

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Mac A. Bee, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I'm working on one of my infamous rants to the board, and that is one of my suggestions, using the foil mask in 2012-13 as an example that DID work.

2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

"Working on"? A composed rant? Isn't a rant supposed to be spewed out extempore in a fit of white-hot rage?

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Well yes...and it was....but I have to correct my awful spelling errors, otherwise it'd be like trying to read Egyptian hieroglyphs before the discovery of the Rosetta Stone.

Here it is...just sent it to the BoD.

------------------

Ladies and gentlemen;

Here we go….again.

Regardig the new rule about covers for chest protectors in foil…you DO realize that only Leon Paul USA is actually selling a separate cover at this time domestically, right? And that only LP and Absolute are selling chest plates domestically that meet the new rule at this time? Fencing Post just added the new gear, but I doubt they have sufficient supply. None of the other vendors you list on the website announcement have anything on their sites, which makes that part of the announcement less than useless.

In addition, the cover from LP USA is comparable in price to the plate itself…thus doubling the cost of that item.

Once again, a rule change requiring the purchase of new gear has been implemented seemingly without adequate time for the thousands of foil fencers to get the new gear…IF it is available by the due date.

This is like the sabre gloves all over again, the only difference being you didn’t wait 11 weeks to let everyone know this time.

Would it have killed you to implement it only for points events for a year like you did for foil masks when the bib was made target?

What about those who use the old-style hubcaps? There probably aren’t any covers in the pipeline for those, yet the rule as written seems to imply the new covering would be required for hub caps as well. What are those women supposed to do? Some of them can’t FIT into even the largest full plate (which tops out at a 38D. Try fitting a woman larger than that…go ahead, I‘ll wait)

Further, what are we as fencers and event officials to do if the deadline comes up AND THERE IS NOT SUFFICIENT SUPPLY to outfit everyone? Will we be back to the potential of events being glorified practice sessions?

Once again, USFA has adopted a rule change withOUT considering the negative impact on the MAJORITY of fencers.

The questions of hub caps or insufficient supply are ones that you MUST deal with now…at LEAST give people the ability to cobble together something on their own if there is not sufficient supply.

Personally, I’d rather see the requirement for points events ONLY for next season and then full implementation for 2019-2020, just as was done for foil masks. That would also give time for smaller resellers like me to know we have access to upgrades.

It worked then, and it was far more fair than forcing people to buy new masks or conversion kits all at the same time.

You people REALLY need to start pulling your heads out when deciding on this kind of thing….writing these rants seemingly every other year got old when the sabre gloves came out.

Philly Diana likes this.
  4. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Wow. Either you know them well or they have a "Purple Filter" delegated for an intern to read.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Uh oh.

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

You should've seen it before the initial read-thru.

7. Privateer

Privateer Podium

i'm curious if/how they responded to the saber glove rant email?

8. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I honestly don't recall....I DO wonder, however, if the change in the implementation date there was partially due to the rant.

9. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Paging Peach.:)

10. Privateer

Privateer Podium

i suppose that could be, but you could probably accomplish that with 1 paragraph. YMMV.

11. Nakita

Nakita Made the Cut

Just as bad is the big ribs small bust.
    I need a medium chest protector but then their are these protuberances on the front that are too big.
    Go try to find a 38A bra out there. Lol

12. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Ya...a lot of females don't conveniently fit into the sizes made.

I'll throw out 32D as well...have seen that one.

Nakita likes this.
  13. Nakita

Nakita Made the Cut

32D maybe at Victoria Secret?
    :D
    Might not be suitable for fencing however!

Purple Fencer likes this.
  14. Bellicose Patriot

Bellicose Patriot Made the Cut

B.O.H.I.C.A…one of the “Experts”??... on the executive claims that the published deadlines for implementation was so designated because they were informed that there was sufficient stock available…the number of items available and in stock they were quoted contained an extra zero too many…accidently or, accidently on purpose …draw your own conclusions… however if they would have checked with the members of the technical committee (who had the correct number available) foil fencers would now not be scrambling to meet a Non-Attainable implementation date because of decreased availability…why have a technical committee if you ‘ignore their recommendations …another example of the camel being the committee’s race horse…mistake or marketing ploy?...asking the question…will these dates now be altered?...in view of the totally unprofessional, immature, irrational way that this measure was passed …maybe we should remember this come the next elections…

15. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Reply from Kris at USFA (my subsequent replies in bold:

"As the Executive Director of USA Fencing, your e-mail regarding the foil chest protector rule was forwarded to me by members of the Board of Directors. Therefore, I wanted to reply to your concerns, both on behalf of the National Office and the Board.

The foil chest protector rule was voted on by the Board of Directors in order to be in accordance with the FIE’s rules for the sport as the international governing body and was created to rectify the issue of touches in foil registering inconsistently and improve the fairness of scoring.

We as a community are all aware of that...we have been ever since the timing change.

Prior to the board meeting, the National Office reached out to the vendors listed in the rule announcement. Each of these vendors stated that they have stock of chest protectors that would meet the new requirements or will have stock prior to the full implementation of the new rule.

And yet, there is no guarantee that there will be sufficient stock, just as we had shortages when the sabre gloves were implemented. it's one thing to require the new covers for points events next season....quite another to require them for ALL events next season.

Regarding your question about the cups (or “hubcaps”) … this issue is being examined currently on both the domestic and international level and we will be updating the membership accordingly.

And, frankly, it should have been examined and dealt with BEFORE you required adoption of the ruling.....that is my ENTIRE point. USFA has a history of adopting rules changes that require the purchase of new gear withOUT truly considering the impact on thousands of members...particularly when the due date is only a new months off.

It happened with sabre gloves, rated ref requirements at events, and now the chest plate issue....do you NOT see this?

Out of the last 4 such changes, only the foil mask adoption was done in a manner that did not impact the MAJORITY of fencers in a short time. The points folks, yes...but the rest of us had a year to get an updated mask.

However...1 out of 4 is not a good stat.

While we are always welcome to receiving constructive criticism and suggestions, in the future, we request that you do so in a tone that is respectful of other members of the USA Fencing community. We are all looking to do what's best for the sport and respecting others is both a core value of USA Fencing and the most efficient manner with which to conduct discourse.

Sometimes you have to be blunt to get the point across....and USFA screwing it up 3 out of 4 times means you get my mouth. I can, and have been far worse...look up my rant about the sabre gloves and USFA waiting ELEVEN WEEKS to get the word out. That kind of poor communication is nothing new, unfortunately.

You want a better tone? Start by thinking things through about how a rule change will effect the overall membership before putting it into effect with the next season across the board.

You still have not answered -- or even dealt with -- the question of what to do if the season has started and 1) there's no ruling on the hub caps or 2) there aren't sufficient supplies of the covers.

Those 2 questions are a bit more important than any bruising of your egos.

16. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

That was the main takeaway of the reply; it answered nothing.

But hey, at least it had a respectful tone.

17. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

There comes a time when you have to say "screw it" and release the hounds.

18. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war".

19. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

In the original Klingon....

20. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Sam, did you send Kris a copy of your comments or did you just post it on this forum?