Soft-covered Chest Protectors for SN & Beyond

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Mac A. Bee, Apr 14, 2018.

1. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

Problem is you would not be able to verify the FIE marking that way

2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

ExFOCer Sharon Everson ruled that was inappropriate.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Yet another reason I am glad that I fence sabre.

Black Widow likes this.
  4. Bellicose Patriot

Bellicose Patriot Made the Cut

FYI…the chest protectors that Leon Paul will have, also The Fencing Post ?( I think) are the ones coming from New Zealand …these are available in sizes similar to bra sizes…therefore many different sizes… so they will have less stock per size…upon further research I was informed that they usually do not correspond to U.S. sizes and therefore mail ordering is NOT recommended…the ones that Absolute sells are available in small, medium and large…this is accomplished by having larger arm holes…so they will have more stock per size…however a larger arm hole could mean less protection in that area…(further research my is required to either prove or disprove this assumption… I also went on Absolute’s web site on April 16th and did not see a male protector only the FIE (padded) and Non-FIE- (hard plastic) female items…when I searched for chest protectors

5. mfp

mfp Podium

The women's FIE protectors showing on the LP and the PBT sites are from New Zealand. More specifically from QP Sport, based off the main drag in New Plymouth, a tiny coastal NZ city whose main attraction is a 150 foot Wind Wand sculpture. (I was in the neighborhood a few years back and decided to check QP out after being disappointed by the Wind Wand). It was amusing to see the world's leading manufacturer of chest protectors consists of around 6 people working in a small former auto repair shop in the middle of nowhere NZ.

The "Women's FIE foil Chest Protector" on The Fencing Post site is from Absolute, not QP.

https://www.absolutefencinggear.com/shopping/product_info.php/products_id/1552/cPath/13_76

Privateer likes this.
  6. Quo_Usque

Quo_Usque Rookie

None of the protectors on the market fit my breasts, including QPsport. They are designed to fit a limited number of ribcage sizes within the cup sizes A-DD ish, meaning that they only fit women whose ribcage and bust measurements differ by 1-5 inches. Unfortunately, my ribcage and bust measurements differ by 9 inches, and even the largest chest protectors do not have cups deep enough for the center of the protector to reach anywhere near my sternum. It bothers me to no end, because it wouldn't be hard to design a chest protector style that could accommodate a much larger range of ribcage/bust sizes without having to manufacture 100 different sizes.

I actually have a kydex sheet I bought specifically for what you say, I just haven't taken the time to do it. Because the hubcaps work well enough, it kind of fell to the bottom of my pile of 20 other projects I've been putting off... I've seen mention of retrofit FIE covers for already existing breast protectors, so I hope that, since the cover is what is what's homologated, not the actual protectors, that retrofitting a DIY protector would be legal.

I empathize with your wife! The big bust/small ribcage group is an under-served demographic! All my bras cost me around $70.

Philly Diana likes this.
  7. brtech

brtech Podium

Unfortunately, no vendor has created a homologated cover for any existing CP, including hubcaps. It's possible to do so, but no one has yet done it.

8. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

I don't see an economic motivation to do so when they can sell new ones for $11 more than existing. They'd have to sell for $5 to justify buying a cover vs. new plate, and that's probably their material cost. When foil bib lame was implemented, there was a larger renew vs. replace cost difference.

9. Bellicose Patriot

Bellicose Patriot Made the Cut

Thank you for the link for the male protector on absolute’s site…like I said… when I did a search for chest protectors using site search engine …other page came up… sans male item…also found out Swordmasters will also be carrying QP type…thank you for clarification on Fencing Post type…now can give better (proper) referrals if asked

10. mfp

mfp Podium

Uh, creating a homologated cover for an existing chest protector is exactly what QP Sport did. QP Sport's "FIE FoilGuard" cover is an addition to their own existing chest protectors. It also appear vendors such as AllStar are selling QP's FoilGuard cover for other existing protectors.

allstar.fencing The new soft layer #FoilGuard for your allstar chest protector will be available at our allstar booth at the Cadet & Junior World Championships in #Verona2018. They are attachable to your own allstar chest protector in a second.
    Due to the #FIEupdate2018 the soft layer will be obligatory in Verona for all female foil fencers and for all male foil fencers using a chest protector

11. mtwieg2

mtwieg2 DE Bracket

You'd be surprised what a handful of people in a well-equipped workshop can turn out. Though if they're doing all the manufacturing in-house the product is going to be pricey...

Yeah but these covers look like they're made to conform to a specific size/shape of plastic protector. I think what people want is to purchase a sheet of raw material which they can then trim and form around their own custom protector. But I have a feeling that's never going to be an option, since that would create opportunities for abuse in the minds of obsessive skeptics.

edit: actually the photos give me the impression that the covers are somewhat rigid (since they look like they hold a specific shape without being attached to anything), but the stated density of 22kg/m^3 is very low, like low density weather stripping foam. Should be very soft and conformable...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  12. Shivi

Shivi Made the Cut

The website I saw (selling QP product under PBT label) indicates that the new SEMI approved cover attaches with Velcro stick-ons to an existing QP protector. You do have to specify the exact size and cup. Guess that works for the types that attach with bra-like straps. I prefer the slip-on tank top style where the plastic protector is inserted. A layer of regular fabric at the back with the approved material at the front would work for me.

13. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Hmmm. That's an interesting idea. Has anyone ever made a plastron that incorporates a hard guard? Normally, I don't use a hard guard, but it would be great to have something that would slip in easily for practice drills where my chest is getting hit a lot.

14. jfarmer

jfarmer DE Bracket

Not exactly that, though some of the "inside the jacket" protective HEMA gear might come close.

QP does have their Maxi-Guard line which is more or less a sports bra/tank top with pockets to hold their full coverage protector plates (sized).

15. Privateer

Privateer Podium

my practice partner is a V60 and he trimmed and heat shaped a sheet of polyethelene then slipped it into his plastron, between the fabric layers.

16. ShortFoot

ShortFoot DE Bracket

I did that with a layer of extra-thick leather. More comfortable than plastic and just about as effective.

17. brtech

brtech Podium

The rule would require you cover it with a homologated outer layer.

It could well be that you get no bounce from a piece of leather, but there is no reasonable way to separate acceptable chest protectors from non acceptable ones. If every chest protector needs the homologated outer layer, everyone gets the same results.

18. ShortFoot

ShortFoot DE Bracket

Sorry, unclarity on my part: I was replying to Zebra and Privateer about "for practice drills" and club use.

19. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Can I ask a potentially stupid question? As I understand it, the reason for covering the hard plastic is so a blade tip cannot “skip” off the chest protector and potentially jam up under a mask bib- correct? If so, the hard plastic is already covered by a fabric plastron and/or a fabric white jacket, sooooooooooo...

Can someone explain the difference to me? Thanks.

Edited to add- or is the covering meant to absorb the tip (which might break the blade and the broken end gets up under the bib instead)?

20. neevel

neevel Armorer

No, it's to reduce the likelihood that, with the post 2005 timings, a foil point will skip off of a chest protector and not register a touch that would have registered if a chest protector were not present. Having the protector under the jacket and plastron has not reduced the frequency of this to a satisfactory level.

Grey Sabreur likes this.