Sockets

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Inquartata, May 5, 2018.

1. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I don't know if this has ever come up. Can you mount more than one socket on a weapon?

I know a sabre fencer who has both two-prong and bayonet body cords and sabres. Sometimes all of his bayonet cords fail, or all of his two-prong cords, and he switches to the other. But he either has to have sabres with both types of sockets, or dismantle the sabres and change sockets. It would be more efficient if he could use one sabre with both types of cords, just by putting both types of socket on one sabre.

Is there anything in the rules which would prohibit this, or can anyone see this causing a problem?

2. neevel

neevel Armorer

No, but for the cost of buying an extra socket for each sabre, he could probably just standardize his weapons on one type of socket and buy good quality plugs of the matching type to convert the cords.

K O'N likes this.
  3. Zebra

Zebra Podium

[expletive deleted], Inq you have some weird friends.

4. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

You and your common sense, David!

5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Yeah...except that it means buying more things and working on equipment. Fun for armorers and foilists, maybe, not so much for sabre fencers. I really doubt he's going to do any of that.

And with two sockets, if you need to borrow a body cord you are not limited to finding someone with the specific type you have. Think of it as being bisexual, you double your chances. ;)

To be fair, I don't think he's going to put two sockets on his weapons, either. Hearing him talk about his situation, I just wondered whether the idea was feasible and legal.

6. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

BCs' relative low cost means I always have a two-prong in addition to three bayonets. Never borrowed a cord.