Socket Issues

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Joseph, May 8, 2019.

1. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

Having a bit of an issue with my socket, not quite sure what the issue with it is. To me, it looks like the socket is too small, but we have another socket of the exact same size that works well. Any knowledge on this?

[​IMG]

2. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Are you saying the cord won't go any farther than that?
    (and BTW, fix the wire that wraps all the way around the socket: a lot of refs will fail that)

3. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

Yeah, the prongs won't go any farther than that. Also, thank you for that cord advice. Should be fixed by tomorrow.

4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Are any of the blades of the pins broken?

5. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

Even if those pins were, I've tried 2 or 3 different body cords that have worked in other sockets. I think this may just be a socket issue.

6. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Usually the holes in the individual sockets extend all the way through, so assuming the pins actually fit into the socket (hence Inquarta's question regarding whether or not any of the leafs on the pins might be broken) there shouldn't be anything to stop the pins from going all the way through. Unless there is something in there than I would suspect some form of misalignment between either the individual pins or sockets (in the picture it looks like the plug may be slightly cocked to one side, but that may just be an illusion due to the angle from which the picture was taken).

Having said all that, I noticed that the body cord in the picture has a Prieur plug. My experience has been that for whatever reason Prieur plugs are often some of the tightest fitting ones out there (even with Prieur sockets - which this does not appear to be). There have been times when I've had to insert a medium-sized screwdriver blade between the plug and the socket and use that to pry the two apart.

Inquartata likes this.
  7. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Is the socket Prieur or knock-off? The latters have variance.

8. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

No idea, I've gotta snap pictures today of most of our gear today anyways

9. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

Maybe the holes are out of alignment... maybe I did it!
    I have noticed that the foil sockets often get too loose, and the foil plugs rattle around and cause issues, but I don’t open up the cages on the prongs any more. I bend the two holes closer to each other, either by squeezing them together with a pair of pliers or by putting a screwdriver into one and bending it towards the other. The holes end up slightly misaligned and the plug fits tight. Then I test it to make sure the plug goes in smoothly.

10. neevel

neevel Armorer

I've seen a few of these (I've got a couple lying on my workbench)- it's a manufacturing defect, the holes for the pins are just a bit to small in diameter to fit the pins on this particular cord (as SJCFU noted, Prieur pins seem to be on the upper end of the variance for diameter). If you know someone who uses Leon Paul bodycords you might see if you can trade them for another socket, since they will probably fit. It's a cheap socket, so I'm not sure it would be worth it to return and exchange it by mail.

11. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

I should be able to replace the socket screws themselves, yeah?

12. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

Yep. I just downloaded the pic. I now see that it’s an epee socket.
    Swap out the socket screws with old parts.
    Make sure to keep the washers and the grounding bridge.
    I also like to make sure the washers don’t have a ridge or burr that will cut the wire.

13. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Yeah, I do this too. ( I got the idea from Purple Fencer, I think. ) So it works well to make the plugs on the body cords I have fit snugly into the socket, but often when I get new cords they will not go all the way in and I have to bend the socket barrels back again so they will fit.

I suspect that this will eventually weaken the socket frame and I'll have to get new sockets, but so far it's worked well. Rather this than risking breaking the cage slats of the plug pins. And of course if you have cords with solid pins canting the angle of the sockets is about the only way to adjust tightness.

The other ( remote ) possibility is that one or more of the sockets has gotten squeezed a bit somehow and so is out of round so that the round pins just don't fit anymore.

14. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Could you open them up with a round needle file?

15. neevel

neevel Armorer

If that’s you preferred method of burning an evening and a 6-pack of your favorite beer. ;) As an alternative, you try drilling them out with a 5/32” drill bit.

16. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

If you can find an inexpensive source of replacement sockets whose threads match the original ones (I've seen a couple of different thread sizes used for these over the years). Most vendors charge as much (or more) for three replacement socket screws than for an entire assembly.

If you're operating in full "starving college student" mode (as appears to be the case, based on your other posts), then I;d recommend drilling out the holes, as Neevel suggested.

You're probably right - but given the fact that you're only bending a thin piece of steel a small amount, odds are that you'll be aging out of vet categories which don't exist yet before before the metal begins to show signs of stress hardening. Unfortunately while that method works for foil (or in your case, saber) the plastic block of an epee socket is less forgiving (at least not without heating the plastic to the point where it becomes pliable, and that would probably introduce other complications).

17. K O'N

K O'N Podium

The socket plugs are plated. If you file out or drill out the inside of the hole you'll remove the plating, and the inside of the plug will then corrode and make a bad connection to the body cord, probably in a matter of weeks. Just use a different socket, take that one off and give it to someone who uses LP body cords (which everyone should anyway, since they're excellent).

18. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt ( in Old Assyrian ). :)

A few more seconds with the file from time to time ought to take care of that...if you live somewhere that humidity is a problem.