SoCal Scholastic Foil chest plate rule

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Purple Fencer, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

If you have a foil fencer who plans to compete in the SoCal Scholastic Fencing League, please pass this on.

Note that this applies to SoCal Scholastic League foil events ONLY....the new rule is still in effect for all USFA competitions.

--------------------

NEW CHEST PROTECTOR RULES NO LONGER IN EFFECT FOR 2018-19 SEASON!

After consideration and consultation with USFA, the SoCal Scholastic League has changed it's prior decision and will NOT be requiring the foam covers on chest protector for female and male foil fencers for the 2018-19 season.

The rule WILL be adopted for the 2019-20 season.

This will give teams and individuals more time to obtain the proper chest plates without having to rush to do it. This does NOT affect the league's ability to hand out weapons ratings at our foil events (which is the prime reason we decided to backtrack on requiring the new plates). Those presenting to the strip with a new cover shall not be penalized or asked to change to the old style.

2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

How is that possible?

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I KNEW someone would ask that!

The league is an org independent from USFA, so we can make our own rules. We follow all of the rules of play, but we have never carded for failed weapons, not having enough gear at the strip, etc.

One would think that this would not make it possible for ratings to be handed out...and for many years that WAS the case. But if you remember, a couple of years back, the NO found a way to allow scholastic leagues to hand out ratings in spite of this.

The events can't be sanctioned in the usual sense -- for one thing, we restrict events by grade range rather than by age...something USFA does NOT do -- but the NO chooses to RECOGNIZE the events for the purpose of awarding ratings earned at those events....and we've had E1s to A2s for years.

AFter each event, I write up a submission form that shows what fencer earned a rating. I include that fencers who earned ratings, their division, and club. Additionally I submit a list of the refs.

Sarah Ross checks that list against her own records, and if everything matches up (primarily that ALL of the competitors are USFA competitive members...which has been a requirement of ours since the beginning anyway), she appri9ves the new ratings and updates the database.

We decided to adopt the sabre glove rule right away because that was a safety matter. The chest plate rule is not, so we decided to do what USFA should have done...give people actual time to get one -- in the case of the formal school programs, time to raise the funds to buy a supply of them.

This was all cleared with Bob Bodor at USFA...we didn't make this decision in a vacuum.

4. Mac A. Bee

Thanks. Will inform our scholastic league. N.B. Fencers are classified. Refs are rated.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Talk to Bob Bodor at the NO just to make sure everything's accurate...every league is a little bit different.

Shoot me a direct email and I'll send those submission forms...they're fillable pdfs.

6. Mac A. Bee

Just realized. That's a *huge* caveat. We can't convince the scholastic kids to join if they're not club-competing.

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Strange....our kids have never had an issue with it.

Now getting some of them to sign up correctly so they can be verified...that's different.

We had one even a couple of years back where the ratings were held up for weeks because of ONE fencer who spelled his name three different ways...and what was on AskFred didn't match his membership form.

Yeah....his coach kinda punished him for that one.

8. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

The kid spelled his OWN name three different ways? Jeez Louise...

9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Oh, I had FAR worse words for it. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out....it was only a change in one letter, but still...

This is why I have cats.

ReadyFence likes this.