SN/JC June/July 2018 - St. Louis, MO

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by teacup, May 30, 2018.

1. teacup

teacup Podium

2. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Some notable overlaps:
    Div2 and vet team at 0-2 hours apart in 4 weapons (ME, MF, WF, WS).
    Cadet and senior team 0 and 3 hours apart respectively in MS and WE.
    Keep in mind you can do 1 individual and 1 team event in the same day so if they were split up morning/evening it would've been fine.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  3. Philly Diana

Philly Diana Made the Cut

I'm not sure which of the check in times I hate more - 7-8 a.m or 3-4 pm.

4. Duideed

Duideed Rookie

Does it bother anyone else that it takes so long for these times to be posted? The delay makes travel planning difficult -- not knowing if you can get out of town in the late afternoon, or needing to stay an extra night if your start isn't in the am.

It seems that this year was especially delayed. Originally we were told that times would be posted a week after close of regular fees. Then that timing was updated to "week of May 28". Why the delay? Can't USFA not gauge by past experiences how many fencers to anticipate for a given event? Frustrating and costly.....

5. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

1) You should never plan your arrival or departure for the day of an event that you're competing in.
    2) Only the the schedule of which events will be held on which days is posted first. Posting of the times that registration closes for those events cannot be done until the bout committee has a clue as to the sizes of all of the events that will be held on a particular day. That's not even remotely known until at least the late-fee deadline by which time the NO has had time to check the validity of most of the 10,000+ entries that have been submitted (a large percentage during the last few days before the deadline)
    3) Entry sizes can not be gauged by past experience since they vary greatly based on the day of the week the event is being held on, the mixture of events on that day, which related events are being held close to or far from the date of the event, the area of the country in which the competition is being held, the state of the economy, school schedules, international events, etc.

dberke likes this.
  6. Duideed

Duideed Rookie

Not trying to be combative, just wish there was more clarity with time to make better travel decisions. I completely agree that you should never plan on arriving from a distance on the day of an event, but my son's last event of the tournament has the early check-in. Had I known that a few weeks (even two) ago, I would have been able to catch a flight late that afternoon. Instead, we will now have another night's hotel and meals. With the new registration system, it seems pretty easy to see which fencers have qualified and which are still pending. Maybe if the deadlines were moved up a few weeks that would allow for parents/fencers to plan better?

7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

As a night person I certainly know which I hate more. :)

8. dberke

dberke Podium

With the growing size of the events, it is possible that even with an early check-in, the pools might be flighted. So you can't assume your kid will be done by 2pm - the morning events could run into the late afternoon.

As Ancientepee mentioned above, the official USFA policy is that you should not plan on flying home on the same day as your event. You should plan to leave the next day - and the schedule of what events are on what day has been posted for months. If you do decide to fly home the same day, you do so at your own risk. I've seen many situations where parents book flights home the same day as their kid's event, and the added pressure of being done in time for their flight hurts their performance. I've always thought that was a bit unfair to the kid...

Moving the entry deadline up isn't possible because that essentially would shorten the season - that is two fewer weeks for qualifier events like ROCs and SYCs. As it currently stands, there are events scheduled right up until the day before the entry deadline.

Dan

9. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

The last day a ROC or SYC was held this season was May 6. The (regular fee) entry deadline for Summer Nationals was May 16. So not quite the day before.

For 2018-19, the last day (per the bid packet) for ROCs is April 29 and for SYCs April 28. Oddly, that's a flip from this season, when the final allowed ROC day was a Sunday and the final SYC day was a Monday. Of note, the recently-announced 2018-19 calendar includes 2 SYCs and a ROC after those dates, with May 6 the final day an event is scheduled.

B

10. teacup

teacup Podium

As soon as hotel room blocks are available for booking, people reserve the whole time and many only correct their dates AFTER close of check in times are posted. By then, group housing has already over the rooms to the hotels. If the close of check in times were posted prior to group housing handing over the room block, USA Fencing might make more money from room bookings.
    The issue of people booking more days than needed and not canceling until day schedules and close of check in times are posted, is probably one of the reasons that group housing now charges a per room booking fee.

jkormann likes this.
  11. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

If it's meant as a deterrent, it's not working. And if it's meant to generate additional profit, they should be charging more---apparently demand for this service is rather inelastic, as demand for NAC entries is.

12. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Easy solution- most rooms on Booking.com are fully cancellable without penalty (or changeable). Don’t know anyone personally who has had a good experience with group housing, although I’m sure they are out there...

13. Philly Diana

Philly Diana Made the Cut

I've shifted from using group housing or hotels to doing an Airbnb. I get a kitchen where I can prep my own meals and a washer and dryer so I can wash my kit. (Although, the thought of trying to win a bout on my last day of competition by just wearing a nasty kit which has been fenced in for 3 days does appeal some days.)

14. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Ground Housing was cheaper for me at the Anaheim NAC by at least 50% & everything worked out exactly as planned, so now you know 1 person.

ReadyFence likes this.
  15. Peach

Peach Podium

Group Housing has worked out fine for me. And I make reservations to arrive the day before my events and leave after, if I have to fly.

16. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Unintended consequence: your ref.;)

Philly Diana likes this.
  17. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Does anyone know which hall(s) of the convention center we will be using?

18. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Halls 3 to 5

19. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Thanks.