SmartSalle - fencing club management software

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Mitchell, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Mitchell

Mitchell is a Verified Fencing ExpertMitchell hi Staff Member

Hey all,

I've been working on a project for a few weeks and wanted to share it on here and solicit some feedback/ideas/requests.

After shutting down 14meters, I decided to move in a direction that I believe to be more stable. Club management, billing, scheduling, communication and marketing. The project is not nearly done yet, but it IS usable right now. If you run a club, create an account (free) and let me know what you think, what you'd like to see, etc..

https://www.smartsalle.com/

To go ahead and pre-answer the obvious question:

Why use this instead of ZenPlanner, MindBody, etc? ZP and MB are both built to be VERY generic and customizable. If that's what you're looking for, definitely continue to use those instead. The point of view I'm going for here is something tailor built for fencing. Additionally, customizability is great if you know what you're doing. If you don't, its a black hole. So in a similar way, I'm going for a point of view that enables best practices and ease of use at the expense of higher customizability. I also aim to provide deeper functionality and integrations due to the focus on fencing.

Privateer, ktinoue3 and Strytllr like this.
  2. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

I think this is a great idea.

3. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

For what you have at the moment, it doesn't look bad.
    When will the calendar, scheduling, billing, etc be added to take a look?
    Are you planning on incoporating email or text or some other club communication method beyond the drip marketing options?
    What do the people tags do?

For constructive criticism, I currently would need the following to move to your platform:
    1) Need to make sure to include club membership options or levels (maybe somewhat customizable) that are not strictly USA Fencing affiliated for clubs/organizations that don't require that to be in the program.
    2) I would like to see parent/child membership associations, with linked contacts so that when I email or text (or whatever) to a student in a class, the parent also receives the message.

4. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

So sorry to hear that 14meters is completely gone now. I really liked what you had there.
    Having said that, on first glance I really like what you have put together on your new site.

5. Mitchell

Can't really give you a timetable at the moment. ASAP.

Yes. Direct communication will be a part of it, so for example, email blasts to groups.

Group people. An easy example would be, to use the previous question, send an email to only the people who are tagged "foil".

I do have the ability to disable the insurance check on the roadmap. That's the only thing thats really impactful. But as a reminder, if you want to use US Fencing's insurance, literally everyone who participates in the club must be a US Fencing member. Everyone.

Have this built already, but it isn't live yet because it goes hand-in-hand with billing and scheduling.

Thanks. Unfortunately, none of that was in my control. US Fencing decided to shoot their shot on tournaments without understanding that an ecosystem existed.

6. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Which is why i refuse to use their insurance. what a bunch of crap.

7. Mitchell

In my user research, many people who ARE using their insurance are not in compliance anyway because its a pain in the ass. I'm hoping to add a feature or two to help address this, but this requires working with US Fencing to achieve them. Which I'm currently doing. But that also means I don't want to discuss ideas in public until I have more solid ground.

Strytllr likes this.
  8. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

I look forward to seeing the continued development.

9. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

Will there be a checkin app/screen for use at the club?

10. Mitchell

Not currently on the roadmap, but I can certainly add it on there.

11. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

I know the salle uses it to track attendance for a number of students that get PE waivers.

12. cobaltblade

cobaltblade Rookie

Mitchell, this would be a godsend upon completion. Site layout looks good so far. It's already winning by not being based on classic ASP or ColdFusion (Which, MindBody and ZenPlanner are STILL based on) Honestly, when you get that calendar set up and have check-ins and invoicing, I would throw you all the money... I've been having to work with Mindbody, Zoho Invoice, and some custom addons I created to get the functionality I need right now. It is a huge time and financial expense for me...

Let me know if you need any beta testers, help, money, blood, etc...

-Toomey

13. Mitchell

I'll take any thoughts you have on why you feel like you need to use MB plus Zoho plus custom addons. Basically, what isn't working for you?

14. cobaltblade

cobaltblade Rookie

Mindbody was necessary to keep track of the students coming in and keeping an eye on whether they have paid or not. So the primary uses of it currently is as a payment and attendance tracker.

Zoho Invoices became necessary because the Mindbody payment system is god awful. (As stated, the Mindbody backend is primarily classic ASP.) Most parents preferred getting notices that it was time to pay and direct links so they could pay online. Zoho makes it pretty clear as well as being a breeze to use. In addition, it's inexpensive for what you're getting. The downside is that since it's intended for generic businesses, and as such, no attendance tracking.

The custom piece I wrote starts to merge the gap in between the two. It links the paid invoices in Zoho to the clients in Mindbody. But that's not perfect.

For me, the BIG negatives all come down to Mindbody for the following reasons:

- Does not handle separate school membership and class payments well
    - Extremely poor interface on non-mobile devices
    - Mobile interface is better but doesn't have full functionality
    - Connectivity issues more often than I'd care for (particularly considering the amount of money I pay them)

Honestly, if SmartSalle had an attendance calendar, had decent functionality on mobile and non-mobile devices, and had a method I could export out information(for my own reports as well as backing up my data), that would probably be enough for me to switch off Mindbody. (I'd probably move payment tracking all to Zoho...even though that's not ideal)

Invoicing would be nice, but Zoho does a really good job of that.

15. Mitchell

The thing that might not line up with your expectations is that we're heavily integrating with Stripe, at least at the moment, for the core management functionality. What's that mean? Means that you can add a credit card to someone's account and it will auto-pay their bill at end of month. Or, if one doesn't exist, it will auto-send an invoice and a link to a payment page that takes CC or ACH. Which does sound like what you're doing w/ Zoho anyway.

NKFA likes this.
  16. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut

Mitchell, when is additional functionality becoming available? I'd be willing to test stuff!

17. Mitchell

Soon. Days. I'm unsure on how I'm going to roll out the test plan since its going to be very fresh, not yet tested by real people, and therefore unstable/buggy. But a release is on the horizon for club mgt/billing functionality.

NKFA likes this.
  18. Mihail

Mihail Podium

Features off the top of my head that I'd want (some were mentioned):

1. Check-in for keeping student attendance -- we currently use barcode scan cards and have a reader attached to a computer, but maybe keeping a tablet open and having students key in a 4-digit pin would be ok too.

2. I'd love the ability for new members (' parents) to fill out forms and sign waivers on their smartphones, along with inputing credit card data, etc. (as close to something like this as possible https://images.techhive.com/images/...nd_sign_app_signature_ipad-100577632-orig.jpg)

3. Generate reports -- how many students are signed up for which class, how long does the average member stay active, various revenue reports by month, by year

19. Mitchell

I believe we'll have all or most of this by launch, yep. The waiver signature stuff, there will probably be something in there that is similar but not the same, to start