SJCC March 2019

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Purple Fencer, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

So....USFA is running an SJCC in mid-March in Anaheim....and it shares 2 of the 3 days of the Grand Prix.

Really??? They don't think getting staffing for both events MIGHT just be an issue??

2. dberke

dberke Podium

Why do you think that? The staff for the two events has very little overlap. The majority of referees are selected by the FIE and are from outside of the US (we usually provide 6-8 refs.) The DT also consists of people who wouldn't normally be at a regional event. The only significant overlap I can see would be armorers, and presumably they are accounting for the extra needs there.

Dan

3. dcchew

dcchew Podium

For a event like the SJCC, you'll probably need 2 to 3 experienced qualified armorers to take of equipment inspection and do strip trouble shooting. It all depends on the numbers of competitors.

Labor for strip installation would probably be done in combination with the FIE event.

I see more issues with getting enough equipment (pistes, scoring machines, etc) to do a proper job.

4. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

The intention was to co-locate the events. It's a feature, not a bug.

B

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I have my doubts....we're talking 2 large events with a 2 day overlap...there may not be enough people to go around.

6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

There wasn't any problem the time they held Pan Am zonals at the same time and place as Summer Nationals in Reno. Was there?

7. dberke

dberke Podium

It's hard to say how big the SJCC will be, since this is the first run of it. Maybe 24 strips? The GP really isn't that big - this past year we only needed 18 strips. On day 3 we only use 8 strips. So let's be generous and say there will be 48 strips... that's still smaller than a NAC. So I'm guessing it's not taxing any resources.

Dan

8. dsapery

dsapery DE Bracket

My only question is:

How is this a valid test for the viability of SJCCs if it's being run by the NO and not by local organizers who bid for it? Other than the value of the points being awarded, how is this not simply a "small NAC?"

Purple Fencer likes this.
  9. Privateer

Privateer Podium

was there a local bid?

10. dsapery

dsapery DE Bracket

I don't even think there was a bid process. But that wasn't my point. How does the NO running 12 "SJCC" events in conjunction with a GP provide any worthwhile data for whether or not these will be manageable by any local organizer?