Shrinking leather?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by d0gz|song, Jun 16, 2003.

1. d0gz|song

d0gz|song Rookie

I have an oversized leather glove...is there any way to shrink the leather without killing my glove? Any help will be appreciated! :D

2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Yes. Wet it. Not too much. Let it dry. It will shrink somewhat, and probably stiffen up. You will most likely have to treat it with a leather balm or neatsfoot oil to soften it up again.

It would probably be easier to exchange the glove, or trade with someone who has one that's too small.

3. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

if you do the above, but let it dry while you're wearing it, it will conform very nicely to your hand while having all the stretched parts necessary for your hand to move freely. Usually, just wearing it for a while and sweating will have the same effect as the wetting. :)

4. D+F+P=Hadouken!

D+F+P=Hadouken! Rookie

If you boil it for 2 minutes, and then put it on your hand it will stretch and conform to your hand shape, plus you will never get the fist of death glove again, but you will need to soften it.

5. damianip

damianip Podium

Of course, you will then badly scald your hand. If you wait until the glove has cooled enough to put your hand in it, it may have already shrunk too much to put it on.

BTDTGTTS.

I recommend a more moderate approach of hot (not boiling) water, just long enough to wet the glove thoroughly. Then put the glove on, let it shrink onto your hand. Repeat if necessary until the glove fits.

Paolo

6. D+F+P=Hadouken!

D+F+P=Hadouken! Rookie

are you trying to say that your weakling hands are not battle toughened as are mine :)

7. D+F+P=Hadouken!

D+F+P=Hadouken! Rookie

I actually first put a couple of medical exam gloves on my weapon hand, and then the hot glove.

8. D+F+P=Hadouken!

D+F+P=Hadouken! Rookie

Sorry Kshan, didn't mean to give anybody a scare. I was in the SCA, and I did a little bit of leather work there. I made a handy leather knee protecter for epee.