Shoes

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Sebi, May 11, 2018.

1. Sebi

Sebi Rookie

I am 13 years old, and I need some new shoes, should I get the nikes or Adidas pro 16?

2. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

I've been a big fan of Adidas Patinando. Got a pair in January 2015 and have used them heavily in high-level, competitive fencing and they're only just now in need of replacement. What I like so much about them is they provide a good balance of ankle support and freedom of movement. Most fencing shoes are very unforgiving on the ankles and shins, while shoes with lots of ankle support make it too hard to make fast direct changes. They're not as lightweight as the Nike Air Zoom, but I've not had an issue with the weight of the Patinando. IMO the Nike's are too much flash and show and not enough actual fencing shoe. I've never owned them, but I hear they wear out very quickly, especially on metal strips.

SevenDad likes this.
  3. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Consider indoor soccer shoes. Much cheaper and readily available. Also, table tennis shoes.

4. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

IMHO "fencing shoes" simply do not give you the support and are over priced for what they are. Suggest following Dwight's suggestion of getting simple court shoes. Only caveat that I would add is that the heels when viewed from the side should be rounded rather than squared off. Helps with the lunge when your forward foot hits and rolls.

Grey Sabreur likes this.
  5. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

At 13, you're probably not spending your own money, but I would suggest the Babolat Shadow racquetball shoe. At around $80, they are much less expensive than fencing shoes, but more supportive than soccer shoes (and, some academic research suggests, fencing shoes). They have the same heel geometry as the Nikes.

6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Does anyone know of a good high-top court shoe? Even Googling "high-top court shoe" ( or high-top racquet, or indoor soccer, etc ) just gets me regular shoes, no high-tops.

7. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I think most high top shoes are more for style these days, rather than function, but these looked ok to me:

http://a.co/2zghQIP

And the Amazon page made a bunch more recommendations for high top shoes. I think these are actual court shoes, not just fashion sneakers, but I haven't worn them.

I ordered a pair of Li Ning shoes in 11.5, which when they got here were 11, Euro size 45. Too small for me. They refunded me most of the money and told me to keep the shoes, so if anyone wants a pair of Li Ning badminton shoes for $40 PM me.

8. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Be glad you're not US sized 12 4E. I've been tempted to wear the boxes. I don't even know how that converts to Euro-sizing.

9. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

I don't think High-Top shoes are good for fencing. Too much mass, too hard to change directions.

10. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Thanks. :)

The Li Ning fencing shoes are the ones I wear now. I bought one of the last pairs on closeout many years ago, and set them aside for future use---I was wearing a pair at the time and high-tops were getting scarce.

And "the future" began a couple of years ago, when the first pair wore out and I couldn't squeeze any more use out of them. Now the reserve pair is getting long in the tooth...and high-tops for fencing are not just scarce but nonexistent.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  11. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

To each his own. But I don't think they can be any worse than regular shoes with those ankle braces I see so many fencers wearing.

In any case I am old, and "change direction" is not something of which I am much enamored anymore.

12. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

I've seen div1 NAC-level competing fencers wear standard gym sneakers. I've worn tennis shoes, volleyball shoes, and two iterations of fencing shoes, each with sufficient success that I didn't replace them until they were decently worn (only the tennis shoes did I decide I disliked in the end). So I agree it is a matter of preference. I just give my opinions in this thread, and you of course give yours.

13. InFerrumVeritas

It is amusing to me that it's in DivII and Youth where you see everyone wearing D'Arts or Nikes. In Div1 (especially in epee), you see a bit more variety.

14. CrownOfCanada

CrownOfCanada Rookie

There are shoes for ping pong? The world we live in..

15. InFerrumVeritas

They move more than some epeeists I've met.

Inquartata likes this.
  16. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

YMMV, but I've found that having two different pairs of shoes is helpful. The soles of my fencing-specific shoes wore out pretty quickly (within a year and a half) from fencing on a metal strip in practice, and they got really slippery on wood floors, so I got a pair of general-purpose training shoes with a much more grippy sole. Fencing on a plastic Sportcourt floor at a tournament this weekend, I found the new shoes actually gripped too much, so I switched to my old worn-out shoes, and felt much more comfortable in footwork. I think it might have been the dirt and old rubber embedded in the floor enhancing traction, like tire particles created the "groove" at a NASCAR track.

17. Gav

Gav Moderator!!

ASICS court shoes. Not only are they cheaper but they are, in my experience better. Any good quality court shoe is what you want. No shoe will make you a better fencer

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    InFerrumVeritas and K O'N like this.
  18. rudd

rudd Podium

plus fencing shoes will make you a poorer fencer.

Inquartata, InFerrumVeritas and Gav like this.
  19. BellevueJeff

BellevueJeff Rookie

Badminton shoes. I played badminton before I started fencing, so I just used the badminton shoes I had. They work really well, as the footwork for a net shot in badminton is exactly the same as a lunge. So the shoes are designed for lunge and recover, with a rounded heel. The soles are soft rubber, and work really well on wood, metal strips, and the rollout conductive strips. I buy mine at either Badminton Alley, or Badminton Avenue, but I already know my size. Victors run slightly wider than Yonex, but the cushioned Yonex shoe ( like the PowerCushion SC5) fit a little wider than most Nikes or Adidas. If you live in a big city, there might be a badminton club in your area with a pro shop, so you can go try on shoes.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.