Seaweed Alert

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by physicspackage, Jun 26, 2007.

1. physicspackage

physicspackage Rookie

We just arrived at Miami Beach today only to find seaweed all along the beaches. I hope this clears up before Friday. Is this normal for the beaches around here?

2. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

That depends. Is it crawling towards you chanting "brains!"?

3. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

Is it seaweed or algae? I know we have problems with both in our lakes 'round these parts. It's gross.

4. MyrddinsPrecint

MyrddinsPrecint Podium

Nope. Even scarier, "flaming bagels!".

5. HDG

HDG Podium

The weather (and hence the surf) has been a bit rough the last few weeks. The city will clean it up anon.

6. Phincer

Phincer DE Bracket

Too bad-one of my fondest childhood memories was taking a stick and looking through beds of seaweed to find "treasures"- old fishing lures, conch egg cases (with teeny tiny conchs still in them), "mermaid's" purses (ray egg cases), crabs, critters, etc. all on board for the ride.

Probably not as nice these days-with plastics and all that.

The seaweed may be gone next week. Just be glad its not jelly fish and man-o-wars.

7. oso97

oso97 Rookie

*shudder* THAT brings up highly unpleasant memories!

8. bigdawg2121

bigdawg2121 Podium

I imagine the Man-O-Wars are still there somewhere though; they certainly were when I was down a little bit ago. Anyone know how the beach is looking at Key Biscayne? I tend to think of it as a much nicer beach.

9. H Man

H Man Rookie

Hey Dawg, Man-O-War is a winter inconvenience. Westerly breeze brings them in. Summer, Sargasum Grass. Great for fishing. Troll a weed line with some ballyhoo and look for a school of dolphin. KIll, Kill (Curse of Lono)

Wade out into the surf with a cup/bucket and pick up some of the grass (pale yellow with small leafs and round balls attached) Shake it over the recepticle and find small shrimp, crabs and a host of other neat things.

Crandom Park is still out at Key Biscayne. Taken over each week end by various parties of non documented - well, let's not go there. Virginia Key, right before Key Biscayne still has Jimbo's. Always a treat for 40 years.

10. passata_sotto

passata_sotto Rookie

We are staying on Hallandale Beach (between Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood) and yes, seaweed is everywhere. It is still a nice beach and it is fun to poke the seaweed for shells.

11. physicspackage

physicspackage Rookie

We are on the beach now and the seaweed is greatly reduced. The surf is a little rough but OK. Still time to get some non seaweed beach time before the fencing starts.