Scoring Box

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Joseph, May 3, 2019.

1. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

We just recently got gifted this scoring box. There's not much we know about it, and any search online returns nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated![​IMG]

2. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Oooh. Haven't seen one of those in a LONG time, and even then it was only once. Am willing to bet that it hasn't been upgraded with the new foil and saber timings and that it may or may not work with sabers now (IIRC this was set up for saber with captuers; never really worked with that system, so can't really say). Even so, it should be ok for epee, and lower level foil fencers.

3. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

We're an epee club, so it works just fine for what we need it for (although I need to get around to testing it with the single foil we've got!)

I was hoping somebody would have a manual or....something! Company is apparently defunct, and any mention of this specific box is nowhere to be found.

4. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

That box is likely older than anyone in the club....

5. mfp

mfp Podium

Uh, nowhere to be found like on this very site findable using google or the search box on the top of the page? For a search that returns two threads about it?

The contact name given in those threads is David Berezov at Saber Industries. A quick google search shows Berezov was president of Saber Industries of Nashville, TN, however the company was sold in 2008 so the email address in those threads is likely no longer valid.

The company's main business wasn't fencing equipment:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000613202747/http://www.saberindustries.com/companyprofile.html

Given the "Saber Industries" was the name of the business and its president was a former USFA member, I'm guessing it was more a personal side product/project.

Berezov seems to be affiliated with the Vanderbilt University School of Engineering these days.

6. neevel

neevel Armorer

This dates back to the early 1990s. I recall the company was around long enough to do an update for captureless sabre, but they’re long since out of business. If you’re epee-only at your club, it’ll be a useable practice box, but you’re not going to be able to upgrade it.

7. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

Calling returned no good results, and a google search did nothing in the way of finding results. I forgot to search HERE, though, the place it makes most sense to do so though o_O

But, thank you kindly for this. It's been bouncing around in my head for a bit now.

8. mfp

mfp Podium

Found a more recent email address and phone number -- will PM it to you.

9. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Not only do I recognize it, I actually have one of its brothers at my small collegiate club (serial number 006 IIRC). One of the first three-weapon machines available for under $1000, I was able to get an updated timing chip for it from Saber Industries as recently as 2006 (although by time Berezov no longer have been with the company). I didn't bother trying to update it for the latest change to the saber lockout timing.

One word of caution - assuming it still has the original power connection (I long ago replaced the original connector on mine with a coaxial power connector), be sure to plug the power supply into the scoring machine prior to plugging it into a wall outlet (or at least make sure that the power supply is switched off). For some reason Berezov originally used an earphone plug and jack for the power connection, and while it was never so prone to shorting out as the 4-pin DIN plug used on Tripplette machines it's still possible to short the plug and blow a fuse on the power supply (fortunately as I recall the fuse is also much easier to replace than the fuse on Tripplette's power supplies ever was). As I said, my solution was to replace the earphone plug and jack with a coaxial power connector.