Schermasport compatibility with German parts (foil)

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Emfuser, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

As much as I dabble in armory land, I've never messed with Italian parts. With Gary closing up shop I can grab some and I'm curious if they are cross-compatible with German parts. They seem to have the most durable springs out there and my screwless tips have been chewing through springs faster than my standard points. Those wires also look interesting. I figured the FdN Armory crowd would know the answer to my question.

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Generally, foil point parts are NOT compatible like epee parts are.

3. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

I know that's generally the case, yes.

What I see when I look at these parts on Negrini's site is the phrase "German compatible" used in the description. I'm wondering if anyone out here in armory land has actually tried it.

4. dcchew

dcchew Podium

If you decide to use the Schermasport wire, be warned that it's made of steel, not copper. You can ruin a good pair of wire cutters trying to trim off excess wire.

The last time I saw a Schermasport foil tip was last year. It looked identical to the FWF foil tip. Nicely made.

5. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

So, when I bought my Franchini blades about a year and a half ago, I figured in for a penny.... and got the Italian barrel/tip setup. I was a tad disappointed when, while fencing at CanAm last year, my tip UNSCREWED and came out while I made a hit. Or, didn't. Anyway, this is a problem I and I believe others have had recently with tips unscrewing from German setups, it's annoying, and something I have only seen recently, past couple of years. At any rate, I replaced the tip, since I couldn't find the original one, with a German one, and it worked just fine. I did not expect this to happen with this finely made setup, but it did. Don't know about screws and such being interchangeable, and I too will have to see what Gary has for parts. I did have the special wire as well, supposed to be pretty tough. Now, the blade I got in Italy, from the Franchini rep there had an Allstar barrel on it.

6. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Make sure your point tape is tight around the barrel. I start taping on the tip's flatened portion and end there. Also - I haven't experienced the Italian screwless (Purple?) but the German brass contacts are screwed-on versus the French/English pressed-ons. Part of my pre-tournament check is insuring the contact is securely tightened. You'll notice an increased tip-barrel gap when it loosens.

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I haven't tried them....Gary Spruill would be the one to ask

8. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

As far as schermasport is concerned there are two styles for foil. The 2006 version which has holes for 4 screws and the new version. The new version was made to be compatible with the German design. The Italian screws have more threads but the tips and screws are compatible.

9. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

Yes, I do all that, and have noticed that gap - oh oh, time to screw tip in; and I now know to LOOK for and EXPECT tips to unscrew, it's not just me it happens to. I did notice, however, that the Italian tip had a good bit more threaded post length than the German ones. Just took longer to unscrew. Hah.

10. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Italian points : Foil,
    They are both a 4.5mm ID
    They fit - cross all German parts and vs a versa Meaning: A German tip will fit a Italian barrel, a Italian tip will fit a German barrel. Screws are the same, springs are not made of same material but will fit each other and work.

The Epee is where you run into problems, nothing fits each other, like in NOTHING

Gary Spruill

Emfuser likes this.
  11. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

Thanks Gary. :)

12. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Will all wire insulator cups fit? I believe Leon Paul are differently-sized.

13. neevel

neevel Armorer

French and LP foil points have a smaller interior diameter than German foil points.