SCA fencing is a joke.

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by ReverseLunge, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Sundragon's only a barony within the Kingdom of Atenveldt...

I never saw anyone forbidden to lunge; there's no rule against it. But that's not to say it didn't happen. Was this in the days when they were still using epees and Musketeer blades?

2. fatfencer

fatfencer Podium

About 6 years ago when I first moved to this desert ****hole. I had such great fun in the West that I had hopes it would be as good here. No such luck. The gy who forbade lunging was a tall burly left handed "fencer" who 'teaches' 'fencing' at Glendale Community College. He is also affiliated with some guy up in Prescott/Flagstaff

I think his SCAdian name was Shinan or Shihan or some such nonsense. I remember him 'teaching' out of some 'fechtbuch' at an Anime convention... Talhoffer methinks. anyhoo he knew I had rank in Aikido so he was trying to convince me the Germans had had shihonage well before O'Sensei.

He loved to pronounce it "shee-hoe-NAjh" as opposed to "shee hoe na gae"

I'm sure you know of him Inq. Roger something...

At this same lecture his 'teacher' from Tattershall was mouthing off about how bad Eskrima was and how great English backsword training is. If the Italians didnt go to England, English fencing would be ****e... thanks Angelo!!!

I told him he was old and feeble and he was welcome to show me the finer points of English backsword. It didn't materialize.:D

I guess I make friends wherever I go.:rolleyes:

FF

3. Superscribe

Superscribe Rookie

I have made a similar request of you. Specifically for us to learn the finer points of packing a bag for the airlines, picking out foils, and gayfully skipping. Specifically, how it's possible that it takes a porker like you 2 hours to warm up for fencing. That's way more than even the most gordito of SCA knights. I do have to say though, someone of your disposition might be better suited to swing a falchion around than than skipping around and practicing the finer arts of a foil.

What i'm getting at is that your results in things like the last Bill Hull Memorial don't really lend much credence to skipping. Are you attending this years? Maybe we can finally meet.

4. RITFencing

RITFencing Rookie

You're welcome in my club any time. :)

Somehow I'm just not afraid of someone who worries more about looking good dying than fighting well.

Of course, if you can't fight well, I guess a cool death is the best you could hope for...

5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Probably Senan O'Something Irish. :)

So he said that you couldn't lunge, or that NO one could lunge? If the former it may have been some sort of misguided "training" measure or something. I could see that...

Bill Wilson. Hey, George Silver lives on! :D

There seems to be a general tendency for people to disparage other martial arts than their own. ( You know, like "Fencing is not a martial art." ;) )

6. fatfencer

fatfencer Podium

Hubris

And I have responded... us meeting is likely to result in your abject humiliation.

But, as I have said so many times, I am already the quintessential master of this. If you wish to learn from me you need only read my posts and light a candle in devotional thanks underneath a suitably large portrait of me. Make sure your prayers are suitably humble and include thanking Gawd that I allow you to speak to me.

Again, I am the greatest. Well, actually our epee coach is the greatest. I'm a close second. Who needs you?

Oh so now it comes out. You want to be my girlfriend. Or, at least you want to be my bee-otch. 'Skipping'???? God you must be a princess.

It doesnt. I usually fence without a warmup. I find though that if I warmup up very casually for about 2 hours I end up not hurting at all. I find that 3 hours of fencing without warming up is a plan for disaster.

I freely admit my fencing needs work. You had better be a great, top-notch a-rated foilist to say this crap though. Somehow I doubt it. What is this faggy 'skipping' **** anyways?

If you wanna come out thats fine. We'll see what kind of spine you really have. I tend to be very hard on people who exhibit internet macho. Like I said I care very little who you are and make no attempt to find you or find out about you. Whatever you end up being won't surprise me.

FF

PS: If I hold you down and fart repeatedly in your mouth will you be mad?

7. fatfencer

fatfencer Podium

interspersed in bold

Inquartata;774415]Probably Senan O'Something Irish. :)

So he said that you couldn't lunge, or that NO one could lunge? If the former it may have been some sort of misguided "training" measure or something. I could see that...

Nah he said it because the rapiers hurt to much and that if I felt I MUST lunge that I should remember to not fully extend my arm forward but rather outwards

Bill Wilson. Hey, George Silver lives on! :D

He's not a bad guy, but just genuinely misguided. There's nothing about backsword that is fundamentally better than eskrima. Eskrima is like backsword on 'roids and Korean Ginseng and coke. Still though I'd drink a beer with him.. but Senan.. not likely... He was a deutschbach...

There seems to be a general tendency for people to disparage other martial arts than their own.
    ( You know, like "Fencing is not a martial art." ;) )

No I really don't know. Olympic style fencing is clearly not a martial art for so many reasons. That you plow forward ignoring the truthiness is kinda like those guys who watch Stephen Colbert and GENUINELY think he's a Republican.

8. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Heh. Is that out of the Krotchpunt manual? :D

9. Lemonaide

Lemonaide Rookie

I thought about this for several weeks before I posted a response. I'm not a theatrical fencer, but I appreciate their style. We really do need that genre for our theatrical performances, but, I do sence a fading away of this style, as we move further into the 21st century, we may not see as many productions involving sword-fights, but I love to watch them.. I usually see the opening and LUNGE right into the screen. [more armchair]

10. Vixerman

Vixerman Rookie

Hello there,

Looking at this post from 9 years later as a lot has changed and HEMA fencing as a whole has risen.

I attended my first SCA tournament this weekend (the biggest in the world, Pennsic, 10,000 people) and I was thoroughly impressed with their tournament. Roughly 90 fencers entered and battled in succession to become champion, and well, those folks have style. Not only that, but there were a handful of masters that were top-tier.

Now that we're a decade ahead, they have wider access to the teachings of all of the Italian and Spanish masters like Fabris, Capoferro, and Giganti, and it has really morphed the way that fighting happens. These people have compounded three centuries of fighting into some very high stakes matches, and watching all of those cultures mash is pretty intense. Couple that with the fact that HEMA fencing emulates the same styles for single rapier combat and it has become its own sport.

I find that the trouble with SCA fencing is that it is difficult to find good, experienced trainers so things are very much structured. That being said, if you are committed (like me) to becoming a great fencer all-around, this can be alleviated very easily thanks to social media. Now I'm able to learn from great fencers in Europe (Martin Fabian and his killer fabris style, for example) and use all of those teachings to my advantage. SCA practice has pushed me to join a fencing academy and I am learning both. Practice is practice, and many of the skills I have picked up in one camp or the other directly translates.

So yes, 14 years ago you may have had a strange experience with SCA fencers, however, I strongly encourage you (if you still practice) to find a white scarf and try again.

11. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

This thread is now on it's third life.

I'm thinking that it may be a cat

12. K O'N

K O'N Podium

It's been dead for nine years. This isn't one of those cute happy cat-fell-off-the-roof-and-is-ok stories, this is Pet Cemetery.

13. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

It started in 2004, lapsed...was resurrected in 2009, lapsed...re-resurrected in 2018.

14. Vixerman

Vixerman Rookie

Yeah, that's kind of the point, this thing is still alive almost a decade later on Google and the dialogue was left pretty tasteless.

It's healthy to look back at some of the not so great things we may have said and course correct, especially things like "They fenced like small retarded children."

Wanted this post to die again on more of a positive note, HEMA has changed drastically since this post was made and it should be noted for any reader that stumbles on this thread.