Sanctioned local event require rated referee?

Discussion in 'Rules and Referee Questions' started by Maggie, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Maggie

Maggie Made the Cut

Do local competitions require a rated referee in order to be sanctioned and give classifications? Just spent a morning trying to find this on the USA Fencing website in the Rules, Athletes' Handbook, and Operations Manual. I found one version of the Classification Chart with a footnotes stating this requirement and another version of the Chart without this requirement--both on the USA Fencing website. Can't find any reference to it elsewhere.

I thought I remembered this being a new requirement a couple of years ago but when I went to verify this morning, darned if I could find it in any official publication. Is it, perhaps, a requirement in some Divisions and not others? Do I remember this incorrectly? Help me out, please, hive mind.

2. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

Yes, see 3rd paragraph in Section 2.0 of the Athlete's Handbook.

Maggie and Strytllr like this.
  3. Zebra

Zebra Podium

At least one.

4. Privateer

Privateer Podium

and there is an 'Event Referee Form' you must submit with any rating change reports. It asks for their name and USFA member number, as well as their SafeSport dates (but I leave this blank because it's too time consuming to find).

5. Zebra

Zebra Podium

The file with background and SS expiration dates is on the USFA member search page.

6. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

The Fencing time fencer database already has this information incorporated in their file. v 4.4 doesn't even require a separate event referee form to be used.

7. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut

Does USFA accept those file from FT4.4? I've been using old excel forms. That would make life easier!

8. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

They've accepted all of the ones I've sent them. :)

NKFA likes this.
  9. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut

TY! I will go that route in May for our next tourney!

10. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I have to do that form for our scholastic events...so I know the issue.

11. Privateer

Privateer Podium

thank you, that's good to know, but not all events use a rated referee for every bout.

12. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Right. But at least for non-regional/national tournaments, not every event has to have a rated referee for every bout. The more important aspect for referees are the safesport date and the background check date anyway, which fencing time also keeps track of in the report.

13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I don't recall that being a requirement...just that a rated ref had to be present.

There was nothing to indicate if said ref needed to be rated in the weapon being contested, what rating level is required, or that said ref had any duties other than simply being present....thing I pointed out to USFA at time time (among others).

Simply saying " a rated ref must be present" is shockingly lax in terms of enough info to actually meet whatever nebulous condition they're seeking.

I mean, I have a provisional rating in sabre and epee, and an 8 in foil. If I'm vending an event and doing so much armory that I never leave my tables except to go to the bathroom...sure, the requirement is met (what there is of it), but am I REALLY doing anything to help the event as the rule requires? Especially if, as you know, I'm set up outside the venue, like ta Gryphon?

14. Privateer

Privateer Podium

yes, that's correct. My point was we don't all use FT to assign referees. I'm over it. we have a process we follow which meets the requirements. I'm sorry I even brought up the form at this point. jeebus save me.

15. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

Sam, what supposedly the reason was to have someone there who supposedly knows the rules. They were the only group that actually certifies that they know the rules. Since our Armorer's Guild got rid of certification, it is now who you know and how well you K.T.A.

16. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Perhaps instead of a rated referee they should just require that they have a vet epeeist.

17. jkormann

jkormann Podium

There's a difference?