Russian grip

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by big poppa, Jul 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big poppa

big poppa Rookie

I use a visconti grip for foil and now Im thinking about switching to a russian grip for competition.What do you guys think about the russian grip?

2. latenight

latenight Podium

I don't like the way it feels. I have heard of some using it for Epee, but no one I know uses it for foil.

3. epeemike81

epeemike81 Rookie

I know people who use if for foil.

bottom line: try them both, and see which you like best. It is a personal choice, so no advice we can give you will help.

-m

4. flechenbones

flechenbones Rookie

Several epeeists in my club use it but I don't like using one myself.

flechenbones

5. damianip

damianip Podium

Very important, particularly with the Russian:

You may have to trim the front a bit to get the optimal balance on a weapon with this grip. It's quite long. Taking 1/4" off mine made a tremendous difference for me and actually got me to switch BACK to this grip after abandoning it for a while.

I really like it for épée with the new balance. I used to use it for foil (untrimmed), but stopped when I switched my épées. I don't fence enough foil to care to switch back.

Paolo

6. Jeff Harman

Jeff Harman Guest

Highly recommend it! Good control. Not too confining.

7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

It's the only orthopedic grip I can bear to use for epee. ( Of course, I only do epee on an occasional basis, so take it for what it's worth---I'm a sabreist by inclination. )

8. Stryder

Stryder Rookie

Inquartata- Strange name for a sabrist.

Oh, and Russian visconti grips are good. Not as much control as an Italian visconti, but more power/freedom than other grips. They are my second choice, luckily I never have to settle for my second choice.

------------------
    www.geocities.com/strydermike

9. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Heh, yes...I love to sow confusion wherever I go... [​IMG]

10. Iwant2bafencer

Iwant2bafencer Rookie

Exactly How many grips are there? So do you choose your grip just py how it feals while you fence and stuff? Thats most likely it, and I'm just being stupid. lol You all have to remember that I don't fence yet so I really dont know . . .well ANYTHING. [​IMG]

11. Pommel

Pommel Rookie

Anything I have to say applies solely to epee. I have used the Russian for a few years with a great deal of success. About taking some length at the neck though, it's not something I ever considered doing. I fence with the grip very loose in my hand, almost not resting in the palm, and keep my index finger extended up the length of the neck. For me, I think it enhanced my point control as well as giving me extra (though technicaly illegal) reach. It's true that your opponent has greater leverage with which to take your blade, but that's a trade off I was always willing to take. I've always viewed it as a sort of middle ground between traditional pistols and extended french. As with everything else with grips, it's just a matter of personal preferance. I myself have been fencing more visconti since flicking can be difficult with the russian (unless you have huge hands probably). I'm still not sure whether I'm going to go entirely over or not. Still weighing the pros and cons of flicking / non-flicking styles.

12. Pessina

Pessina Rookie

I love my Russian grip foils. Of course, its a matter of personal preference

When I first got it I found it dug in to the heel of my hand, so I customised it by wrapping a bandage round the grip, so now its totally mine.

It's true you don't see many of them around, but, seeing as fencers are so individual, that's a good thing, and nobody will walk off with it by accidence

13. BarryTice

BarryTice Rookie

I've always like the Russian grip, for what it's worth, for foil (which I haven't fenced for a few years) and epeé (at which I still stink). In other words, the best grip won't help a mediocre fencer.

I've never considered shortening the neck, but I have hacked off the tail end, where it follows the line of the wrist, and found that to be more comfortable. I've also ground down the corner where it mashes into the heel of your palm, as Pessina mentions.

-- b.r.t.

14. Pessina

Pessina Rookie

Yeah, I did that too. It's true that no grip will compensate for a lack of technical knowledge. The point is, it's your weapon, so find whatever fits your hand. Unlike the clothes (what heresy I have seen in these pages - psychedelic fencing whites indeed!)you are free to use any kind of grip you want, and if it suits you, it will give you an edge, if only a pychological rather than technical edge - but on the piste, what's the difference?

15. veeco

veeco Podium

Hey isn't that Leon Paul who sells those funky uniforms lined with the Union Jack? :).

16. Pessina

Pessina Rookie

Only too true, luckily I'm not picked for the British team, so I don't have to compromise my beliefs

17. Shadow Fencer

Shadow Fencer Rookie

I recently swapped out a belgian for a russian grip the night before my last competition. I don't recommend swapping grips the night before a competition, but my wrist and arm were still aching from practice of three weeks ago where I employed a "vulcan death grip"- that's my description of holding the weapon too tightly while practicing supinated low line parries!. Ouch, it still hurts a little even when I supinate my wrist without holding a weapon!

I really did a number on my wrist and arm. Anyway, the Russian grip was a bit more comfortable. I'm not really sure if I want to trade in my belgians. I think I need to give my wrist and arm a chance to recover and start again on the belgian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.