Running past to avoid touch

Discussion in 'Rules and Referee Questions' started by jkormann, Apr 22, 2018.

1. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I was fencing someone who fleched past me, staying on the strip, to avoid a touch.
    Looking through the rulebook, he wasn't in violation of t.28 (stayed on strip), and never corp-a-corp'ed (t.20).
    He's fast on the take-off and gets beyond riposte range quick.
    Seems like a legit tactic - is it?

2. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

Yes. But bear in mind that the riposte, begun immediately, can involve a turn and lunge to follow the opponent.

3. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

I'm not sure how to prove something is legal since the rules mainly say what is illegal, but I cannot think of a circumstance in which passing without corps a corps or leaving the lateral boundary of the strip would result in the annulment of a touch.

4. mtwieg2

mtwieg2 DE Bracket

Correct, there's no penalty for passing an opponent to avoid a touch, even intentionally.

5. swordwench

swordwench is a Verified Fencing Expertswordwench Podium

Staying on strip to avoid the touch is... fencing. There is no penalty. It's what you should be doing.

Fleching and landing off the side of the strip, but still close to the strip -- in a normal action -- is likewise not a card. There is a penalty in that you lose ground.

OTOH, leaving the strip to avoid a touch looks like you actually went sideways off the lateral boundary, putting yourself out of reach of your opponent. It looks nothing like the incidental crossing off. THAT is a card. And a loss of ground. Don't do this thing.

6. tbryan

tbryan Podium

Yes, it's fine and perfectly normal.

In fact, even if he had left the strip while fleching past, it probably would have been fine. I've only seen t.28 applied in egregious cases, not in the course of a normal fencing action. There often isn't even sufficient room for your opponent to pass you and remain on the strip. Of course, if you start an action to hit your opponent before he passes or steps off the strip, you will be awarded the point even if the opponent is already passed / off the strip when the touch arrives.