Rotary Dremel Wheels for Armoring

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Philix, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

It's more common than you think...like more common among armorers who started years and years ago.

I don't use a hacksaw because I don't have a bench that will stay in place to do the work at an event....and a dremel or bolt cutter is a LOT faster than a hacksaw, especially on maraging steel.

2. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Seriously? have you never watched Absolute put a sword together at a tournament? The bolt cutter takes 2 seconds and a quick turn with a thread die to clean up the thread and you're done. I'll take those over hack saws any day of the week. And with a lot less metal shavings to clean up afterward.

3. brtech

brtech Podium

Pro-tip on cutting threads, regardless of what method you use to cut:
    Spin a nut or die (I use an external hex nut) onto the thread BELOW the cut. Use your favorite cutting method. Dress the cut end with something abrasive to clean up any sharp edges and seriously smooshed threads. Then remove the nut/die. The removal reforms the thread at the end, making it very easy to start the real nut when assembling it. Much, much easier than trying to re-thread with a nut or die from the cut end.

4. Jvanhousen

Jvanhousen DE Bracket

I use a Stanley 84-205 threaded bolt cutter. No longer made but they show up on the devil's swap meet now and then. Cuts w/ a shearing action that usually leaves the threads ready to go. Silent and deadly, but also a bit pricey when found ($75-$175). Makes it a 5 sec. job.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  5. dcchew

dcchew Podium

That's the bolt cutter I mentioned in a previous posting. One of the best investments I ever made back in the day.

6. Pezza

Pezza Rookie

I've seen people using bolt cutters. I've seen people using dremels. not everything has to be done in a hurry .I use a very fine hacksaw and a small $5 vice that attaches to any table it takes me 30 seconds .I don't have to clean up any threads. . I don't use a full size hacksaw that would be impossible. . There is too much emphasis on doing things in a hurry. Not everybody is a full-time armorer so doing things in a hurry and saving a few seconds isn't important. Pezza