Right-angle floor plugs

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by EldRick, Sep 12, 2018.

1. EldRick

EldRick Podium

I worked these up for North West Fencing Center's new facilities - just a finishing touch for the obsessive.
    I thought I'd post a picture and see if anyone else has interest. If no-one cares, I'll post the design online, so anyone can print them in the future.
    These are made of flexible polyurethane, to fit over the innards of an LP 3-prong plug - as flexible as the original LP plug covers, but not quite as stretchy. They should be durable, as the TPU material is very tough.
    This replacement for the LP plug cover can be used in either left or right orientation, due to the asymmetrical center hole.
    The small holes on the top are sized and placed for the correct-sized screwdriver to access the screws without having to remove the cover.
    Anyone interested? Comments?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I like the idea (especially the screw access holes)...but doesn't that put a sharp bend in the wires as they come out of the pins??

Also, how large is the tunnel? If you use Favero wire on a, LP head, it's sometimes very difficult to get the wire through the strain relief tunnel due to the narrowness.

Were those 3D printed??

3. EldRick

EldRick Podium

Yes - 3D printed. They look better at arms-length.
    6^)
    I made the tunnel a 6mm round hole to suit the wire used for patch-cords at NWFC. Easily changed in the model, or one could ream out the hole with a sharp drill-bit.

Visible in the image, there are already two sharp bends in the wires. Routing them horizontally where they come out of the core instead of vertically isn't going to make much difference.

4. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

True...and I missed that these appear to be for floor cords and not body cords, so there would be even less bending around.

If I ever get money again, I'll want to talk to you about body cord covers...

5. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

One potential concern - with the plugs having such a low profile, how much is there to grab hold of when pulling the plug from the socket? Or are you supposed to fit a screwdriver between the plug and and socket to pry them apart?

6. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Interesting - do you have a pic of them assembled and installed?

7. brtech

brtech Podium

These are LP plugs; it doesn't take much force to get them out. It's also going into a permanent install, so that isn't much of a concern.

In a typical NAC-like set up, these wouldn't be very interesting, because the cable pretty much has to be visible and taped down in at least a few places, so there is lots of room, and appearance isn't much of an issue. In a permanent install, where the club is trying to make everything look classy, I think this is a great idea.

Of course I also think the LP is the best 3 pin out there, as long as you can deal with the creeping resistance. It will be very interesting to see if leaving the wire alone, not flexing at all, would change the incidence of what we call "Leon Paul Disease". If it were my club, I would measure the wire as installed, and check it 6 months or a year later. Short A-B at one end and measure at the other, then repeat for B-C.
    Then again, the problems that occur with the leaf spring pins would also not occur in a permanent install.

Privateer likes this.
  8. EldRick

EldRick Podium

"One potential concern - with the plugs having such a low profile, how much is there to grab hold of when pulling the plug from the socket? "
    The body is about 2mm taller than the LP cover.

"…a pic of them assembled and installed?"
    I'll get pix once the club has installed some, but not much to see. These fit on the core snugly, like the LP covers.

"In a permanent install, where the club is trying to make everything look classy, I think this is a great idea."
    Exactly what they are designed for.

"If it were my club, I would measure the wire as installed, and check it 6 months or a year later. Short A-B at one end and measure at the other, then repeat for B-C."
    Excellent idea. I had the same concerns, and added the screw access holes to hopefully minimize the maintenance issue.

I've been tweaking these a half-mm at a time for fit and installability for three days. By next week they may have changed (slightly) as I get feedback on them.

9. EldRick

EldRick Podium

Per request, here are pix of the final right-angle floor plugs in use, pre-carpet. Favero-stops keep the boxes aligned at the ends of the runout area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Mergs likes this.