Rene Roch Obituary

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by schlager7, Nov 19, 2018.

1. schlager7

schlager7 DE Bracket

2. Mihail

Mihail Podium

I can't say I was too knowledgable about the workings of the FIE under him, and undoubtedly there was corruption and some level of dishonesty as in all of these bureaucratic bodies. However, I think it's probably easy to take for granted the state of fencing in the Olympics -- for a tiny sport, it's got a high, international profile and is considered somewhat of an IOC darling, even getting extra medal spots.

I remember being around some FIE personnel as a kid in the mid-'90s and there were murmurs of fencing being under threat of exclusion from the Olympic Games or of a reduced presence, at least. Whether or not that was true, there were so many ways to mess up or fail to modernize, that we should commend the way the FIE steered the ship under Roch. Maybe the timing shuffling and transparent masks had something to do with that -- I'm sure there are plenty of jokes that show people feel otherwise -- but the most important thing was developing the intercontinental presence and diversity within the sport's elite. I'm not excusing whatever institutional shadiness there probably was to make that happen. It was a goal of the federation and they achieved it, so I'm sure Roch was happy with his legacy.