Remember that 20k+ nazi rally in America??

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by Gav, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

2. Privateer

Privateer Podium

can't find it now, but saw something last night about how some of the first Nazi supporters were just plain decent people who believed in the 'law and order' stance of the Nazi party. As they took power in 33(?) anyone who opposed them was subject to propaganda and smear campaigns.

feels way too familiar.

3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

What brought this up?

4. neevel

neevel Armorer

I have a Life magazine from 1943 which has a war bond advertisement which is cartoon showing Hitler clasping his hands and smiling while saying "Isn't it wonderful that Americans are investing in Bunds?" Next to him Göbbels is leaning over to Göring and whispering "Hermann, you must tell him it is bonds, not Bunds."

Privateer likes this.
  5. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Gav, Thank you so much for posting. My parents escaped Nazi Germany, though many relatives were murdered at Auschwitz. It *could* happen here (the US) - again.

Gav likes this.
  6. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

I really hope not.

7. Mac A. Bee

The White Nationalists' Charleston torch rally (see it?) sent chills down my spine. My parents saw similar news films before their departures. Here are two Virginia hillbillies harassing an Appalachian Trail Jewish hiker this month:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  8. Mac A. Bee

The Nazis were regarded as buffoons. Indeed, in German slang, Nazi was a country bumpkin. The aristocracy and military elite believed Hitler would self-destruct. When the Nazis came to power, Jewish war heroes - including my WW I Iron Cross-decorated grandfather, believed they'd be safe.

Privateer likes this.
  9. Privateer

Privateer Podium

absolutely true. I think it's one of the reasons some people and political persuasions eschew higher education and belittle college education (even though they themselves all hold college degrees, or post-graduate degrees).

It's also a reason I've been reminding people about Manzanar every chance I can get.

10. cathy a former fencer

cathy a former fencer Made the Cut

They belittle higher educationin order to control the population. An uneducated population will become the garbage men and street cleaners all the meanial tasks are assigned to them, then to keep things going, government releases felons back into the community to bully everyone into compliance. Thats how many countries are run.