Reel segment fix experiment

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Fairfield_Fencing_Armory, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

I’m trying an experiment to solve the perennial problem with worn out reel segments that start cutting into the reel wire...
    I have threaded and glued the cable spring into damaged segmets to see if the spring will guide the cable more smoothly into the reel...see photo. I’m going to install them on the next reels I repair at my club. I think it should work and a $3 spring will solve the problem permanently.
    Has anyone tried it?
    Stuart
    ECA38B58-90F1-46B9-AFCA-E0A496C7A30C.jpeg

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

The pic isn't coming up full-sized for me, so I can't see exactly what you're doing.

It might work on the Uhlmann, since that damage to the segment tends to start at the outside edge first, where you have the spring.

On a Favero, however, the damage tends to start INSIDE the reel at the tail end of that extension, and I don't know if you have the spring going that far back (since it's larger than the diameter of the segment).

Keep in mind that a cable with any kind of dirt on it can cut through the steel screw holding the Favero in place...it'd probably eventually do the same to the spring.

3. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Insure the Favero's second external insulation is intact as the frayed end towards the reel will impede travel.

4. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

The dirt and grit that sticks to the cable housing and cuts through the guide is much farther back than the strain relief....several feet, in fact.

5. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

I will upload another picture. Since the Favero segment was split all the way, I was able to insert the spring all the way to the end... I wonder if I should allow it to hang an extra inch inside the reel.

Attached Files:

6. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

My guess is that you'll end up transferring the wear from the segment to the cable (particularly if you have some of the Uhlmann cable with a softer jacket that seemed to wear through after a couple of years in lieu of the segment). Although as PF said, never underestimate just how much wear a little dirt can cause (I've also seen cables wear through the segment on Favero reels enough to start cutting a slot in the stainless steel casing and even wear away half of the head from one of the screws holding the segment in place - none of which did the cable much good either).