Question about Fencing Rulebook

Discussion in 'Rules and Referee Questions' started by epee2400, Jun 19, 2017.

1. epee2400

epee2400 Rookie

I am currently studying for the referee test and was reading through the rule book to study. I came across rule t.54 and am incredibly confused about the language used. The rule speaks about the annulment of a touch when electrical failure occurs. It goes on to specify that,
    "either that a touch registered as “valid” against the competitor against whom the touch has been awarded can be made without there being in fact a valid touch"

I cannot decipher at all what this means, it seems like a poorly written rule. Can someone explain to me what this rule is attempting to say?

2. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

If an on-target light goes off for anything other than a touch on valid target, then there is something wrong. This first bullet point of rule t.54.1.a (on the annulment of touches in foil) is saying that the referee must annul the touch if the equipment gives a "colored lamp" when it should give a white light (off target).

3. neevel

neevel Armorer

It means (keep in mind this section refers to foil): If one fencers' equipment is malfunctioning by being able to generate a 'ghost' valid touch or to put on a valid light when hitting non-valid target (such as a 'sweat bridge' that causes the sleeve of the jacket to conduct to the lame, or a fault in the body cord such that the guard of the foil shorts to the lame line and becomes valid target).

Example: Your opponent makes an attack and registers a valid touch on you. The referee awards it. You say, "I think that hit my sleeve and not my lame". The referee has your opponent test on your sleeve and finds that a touch there will put on a colored light because it is soaked with sweat and bridging to the lame. The referee will then annul the touch (and you will need to change into a new, dry jacket to prevent another false-valid touch from occurring).

4. epee2400

epee2400 Rookie

Thank you for clearing this point of confusion up to me everyone!