push for 2021 Veteran's World Championships to be in Florida

Discussion in 'USA Veteran Fencing' started by jjefferies, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:04 PM.

1. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

USA Fencing is apparently pushing for 2021 Championships to be in Florida:
    Thread on FaceBook:

Not so sure I'm in favor. Frankly I like the excuse to go abroad and October in Florida is Hurricane season.
    Oh well, read the details on the Facebook Veterans group site. Not to be published on "that website" if you know what I mean.

2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

2021 Veteran World Championships Awarded to Fort Lauderdale
    USA Fencing is pleased to announce that the Veteran World Championships will be held in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. in 2021. The Federation Internationale d’Escrime selected Fort Lauderdale as the city that will host the Vet Worlds in the United States for the first time since 2005 during its annual Congress in Paris on Saturday. The world’s premier tournament for fencers ages 50 and older will take place from Oct. 1-6 at the Greater Fort Lauderdale / Broward County Convention Center.

3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

On the plus side...Ft. Lauderdale where Travis McGee lives. :D

On the minus side...hurricane season.

4. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

Hurricane season is a valid MINUS. Sure, there are the odds that no weather would occur,however, I live in Florida, and have experienced the nightmare of getting property ready and evacuating along with millions of other people (driving on essentially three major roadways to head north, or wherever you think you might be safe). With the volatility of these storms in recent years and their ability to go from "we'll have a few thunderstorms this weekend " to the nightmare in the panhandle just this summer, (and that was the actual forecast) I think there are plenty of other places they can have it. It was nerve wracking enough to leave FL to go to Worlds in Germany with that gigantic storm bearing down on the area I live in. No one wants to go to an event and find someplace to go because of a storm.

5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I always thought that Las Vegas would have been a good choice. And of course NYC would probably be OK, if expensive. But I'm sure it comes down to a place which has people willing and able to organize and finance the event, and if that's a city in hurricane alley so be it.