protective cup

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by mrpibb, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Bonehead

Bonehead Podium

I'm really surprised about how many people are advocating for them. I don't know anyone who wears a cup.

Also, I'm no saberist, and the video quality isn't so good, but was that the right call?

2. Alexander Kai

Alexander Kai Rookie

I don't know what the call was from the video but here's what I would have called:

Attack from the left, No.
    Parry, Riposte No,
    The remise happens after you cross
    No touch.

Mind you I didn't see which lights went off, but I'm saying the riposte didn't hit even if it fired a right because FotR did not make an attempt to riposte, he simply held his blade out there.

Though in all fairness, after a shot like that I don't see many people that would be able to continue fencing in the immediate sense.

3. Bonehead

Bonehead Podium

When I saw the ref the first time I thought he said attack from (our) right. Upon further inspection he says attack (or maybe riposte) from (our) left no, remise from (our) right. This makes more sense.

4. Alexander Kai

Alexander Kai Rookie

Possibly. I'm waiting for Tool of the Devil to weigh in on this one.

5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Yeah, testicular cramps are the worst. :jester:

6. ladyofshalott99

ladyofshalott99 DE Bracket

If you don't, you're asking for it. Both my clubmates, and my coach, have learned that the hard way. While completely unintentional, I make no apologies for others' stupidity.

7. WGH

WGH Rookie

I still find it funny when women have an opinion about this subject as they have neither worn a cup nor been struck in the testicles. As someone who's been taken the hit in other sports a few times, I'll stick to not wearing them.

8. Fencergrl

Fencergrl Rookie

Yes, I feel that way about guys commenting on women's chest protectors.

9. Fencergrl

Fencergrl Rookie

Hmmm... exactly how are you checking on this? And why am I having flashbacks of the Crocodile Dundee scene where he says "Just checking" ? I can well imagine you're quite popular at your club....

10. Bonehead

Bonehead Podium

A combination of asking, joint showers, and the fact that a lot of fencers don't seem to fussed about changing in the middle of the gym.

11. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

I just look.

What can I say? I'm curious.

12. Guided by Wire

Guided by Wire Made the Cut

There's one somewhere at the bottom of the fencing bag... still in its original packaging.

13. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

Had one of my fencers get hit there just last night. While he is ok, it kept him from completing his practice bout, as no one wanted toi have to wait for him to recover so he could get back on the strip. I do want to point out that th appendix detailing the vital areas to protect on a fencers body specifically states that a fencer must protect the genetals wit a "protective cup". Some have pointed out that since this appears in the 'appendix' that it is not technically part of the rules. Personally I think that it IS required. Too bad it is so damn hard to convince others to wear these things. Just because a person CAN take a hit the, cough for a few seconds, minutes, (hours?) And then get back up and fence some more, diesnt mean that they will fence as well after the hit, and depending on the hit, the poor sap might be in for a REALLY long night with some frozen peas for company instead of their girlfriend....

14. Peach

Peach Podium

We're just rather startled by watching someone otherwise quite hardy writhing on the ground clutching himself and moaning because he refuses to protect a vulnerable spot. I think it entitles us to have (at the very least) an opinion, if only expressed as sympathy, suggestions, and/or hearty laughter.

15. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

I wish you were right, but the rulebook does not require it and it is not because it is part of the Appendix. That is a part of the rules and is required to be enforced.

You need to read from the top of the page to understand why it is not required.

3.2. PARTS OF THE FENCER THAT IT IS VITAL TO PROTECT

Extract from the Minutes of the Medical Committee of the FIE

After discussion the Medical Committee considers that the following ought to be considered as ‘parts that it is vital to protect’.

This suggestion was from the Medical Committee. To become a rule a FIE committee must send their suggestions for new rules to the FIE Congress. If the Congress votes for the suggestion, it becomes a rule.

I agree it should be a rule. Let us hope that the Congress votes on this.

This thread reminds me of what happened to the Kevin Costner character in 'Rumor has it'.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  16. Superscribe

Superscribe Rookie

Lots of people think that no serious injury come from getting stabbed or wacked in the penis or the testicles. That's kind of silly. The testicles are enclosed in a baggy sack oftentimes known as the scrote. If you have, have handled, or seen a scrote, you'd realize it's very easy to catch a point with a scrote.

Personally, I was around where one fencer on the Junior World's team was stabbed in the scrote during a pretty moderate intensity practice bout, 3 weeks before Junior Worlds. The action was an attacker performing a disengage lunge, with the person being stabbed attempting a last ditch counter attack. The scrote of the victim was struck, was torn, and was bleeding after the action, or so I am told.

It was bad enough that the victim received stitches. It was bad enough that the victim had to miss two weeks of practice.

17. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

It is also interesting how many wear a chest protector, but don't worry about protecting the family jewels!

18. TBean

TBean Podium

Guys can do what they wish in terms of protecting their boys, but then don't turn around and ***** at me when you get nailed - your choice is not my fault. While I may some measure of sympathy when it happens, it mostly leaves me scratching my head - but to each his own.

19. Bonehead

Bonehead Podium

That's like me saying don't ***** at me when I flick you on the collar bone.

20. monitorlizerd

monitorlizerd DE Bracket

Tbean, I'm with you. I made the mistake one day of forgetting my "hubcaps"-and I fence saber. I caught a slash accross the chest one day, and the tip of the weapon flicked a nipple. I regretted that stupidity for a week. It was a religious experience, and I haven't forgotten since.
    I fence with a lot of guys, different weapons, and they wear cups. I know, cause I nailed one by accident one night.
    My husband wears one, and he only had a near miss scare.
    Guys, the protection is there....your future children might appreciate it's use.