protective cup

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by mrpibb, Oct 15, 2010.

1. mrpibb

mrpibb Rookie

Should i wear a protective cup? I'm new to fencing and would like to know.

2. Bonehead

Bonehead Podium

The vast majority don't.

3. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

I don't know if the vast majority don't. I don't go checking. When I fenced I did, but I like to protect what is mine.

If you check out the latest rulebook in Apendix A, Section 3.2 the FIE Medical Commission that cups ought to be part that is vital to protect.

It is your decision what is vital to protect. I find that we still must protect the ladies. They are required. Men are only suggested.

4. WGH

WGH Rookie

If you plan on parrying with your crotch, yes. Definitely. If not then you probably don't need to worry about it. I've never even been close to having a problem with foil and sabre. There were a few close calls in epee, but nothing ever hit home. I'm certainly glad to be without the discomfort and overheating of a cup. If someone seems really insistent on attacking down there, just use your natural genital protection instinct to not let them!

Disclosure: I have heard of the occasional sabre going astray and it doesn't sound fun. I also went mostly without a cup during kickboxing and karate training and competition based on the same avoidance principle I described above. That worked 99.95% of the time. If you don't find cups massively uncomfortable and find the risks unacceptable, you might want to consider a cup. As Bonehead said, the vast majority of us don't bother.

5. telkanuru

telkanuru Podium

Forum, meet obvious troll. Hello, obvious troll.

6. Fencergrl

Fencergrl Rookie

Based on the number of You Tube videos of various injuries to this region this is a fascinating subject for males however there are numerous threads on this subject on this forum so let's not put ourselves through another one.

sabreur likes this.
  7. Degenmeister

Degenmeister Rookie

If you are new to fencing you probably will be fencing others who are new to fencing. They will tend to be a bit sloppy or even wild in terms of point control. Do yourself a favor and wear a protective cup---especially if you fence epee.

8. twincitiesknick

twincitiesknick Rookie

(Assuming this is not a troll.) No need.

9. osd

osd Rookie

[video=youtube;KZ8xWBdsdQM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8xWBdsdQM[/video]

10. Fencergrl

Fencergrl Rookie

Agreed. I coach mainly beginners exclusively, and it happens more frequently than it does under normal circumstances.

11. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

As a coach for the past 12 years, I have alwasy urged the males to get protective gear and to have them fence with it even in practice (no good practicing without it and then feeling 'strange' when you actually go to compete...)

I also recommend the females to look for the femal groin protective equipment as well, but since those are much harder to find in the local Wallyworld, I don't stress it that much...

12. telkanuru

telkanuru Podium

For once, Mr. Meehan isn't administering the punishment. Well, besides abusing people with his ROW calls.

13. edgemontfencing

edgemontfencing Rookie

i actually winced when i first saw the guy take the hit. anyway, i fence foil and have never had any problems. although people do occasionaly take a poke to the crotch, its never at the spot. even if it is, (in circumstances outside of fencing) i usually just take it. people also wont go for that area- if they ever get hit there, they just take off their mask for a second and say seriously, dont do that. in conclusion, you wont need one in foil.

14. Morale Officer

Morale Officer DE Bracket

Would you ever like to have children?

Seriously, if I were a guy, I'd wear one. I know I've made quite a number of seriously low hits when I fenced foil and I really did feel bad about changing the pitch of my opponents voice for him. Better to be safe than sorry, isn't it?

15. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

No, I don't ever want to have kids, but I wear one. It has saved me several painful experiences.

Of course, many men are slaves to machismo. They are tough, and want you to know it! They sneer at pain! Precautions? Protection? Not me! ;)

16. Wizardly

Wizardly Rookie

Only two kinds of people shouldn't wear a cup: females and eunuchs. Always wear a plastron, always wear a mask, always wear a cup.

17. Morale Officer

Morale Officer DE Bracket

Don't forget the Castrati.

18. WGH

WGH Rookie

Maybe I'm just dealing with a difference scenario then ya'll, but I seriously can't wear a cup without feeling sick from cramping and overheating. The few times I've been hit down there sucked, but they weren't even that much worse than the way cups make me feel every time. Just sayin'.

19. Alexander Kai

Alexander Kai Rookie

Too late, sorry.

---

Anyway, since this is the first cup thread I've weighed in on, I feel obligated to put in my $.02 regardless of what the rest of you people think.

I didn't start wearing a cup until the girl I was dating at the time brought it up (she was also a fencer) I jokingly told her that if I had an accident there, I would wear one after the fact.

That same day was a tournament, and I just so happened to get hit there, soft enough that there was no real damage. Hard enough to convince me that it wasn't an accident.

Since then, it's been my new religion.

20. Darkbodbod

Darkbodbod Rookie

hm, I don't particularly like them. It's just not my style, just like in school rugby I suppose I never wore a mouthguard or a cup, I'm a minimalist. I just like to have the minimum on in terms of equipment, I guess it's just habit that I don't like that sort of thing.

Also, it definatly gives a good incentive to parry or move or do whatever to stop yourself being hit in the nuts. Saying that, my friend once fleched at me and my blade ended up in 'that spot'...he nearly did a flip...Long story short, dont fleche when someone has a sword pointed at that area, infact, don't fleche at a straight arm at all (he was much taller than me, it was about head height for me!)