Proposed Changes to VETs

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jjefferies, Dec 13, 2017.

1. mfp

mfp Podium

Likewise I've noticed a fair number of Vets who seem relieved when, after two NACs, they know they won't qualify for Worlds and give SN a miss. I'd guess if there were 4 NACs for team selection, these folks would be more likely to compete less (or not at all) instead of more.

One way to increase Vet fencing at a 4th NAC without all those drawbacks would be to add 6 Vet Combined events only without any Vet age point events. Adding 6 events is likely an easier sell than adding 24 events and those Vet Combined events could even be added to the October NAC.

Peach and Inquartata like this.
  2. tbryan

tbryan Podium

Big fan of using 15-touch DEs in veteran events in general? Still a fan of Vet NACs using 15-touch DEs even if Vet Worlds continues to use 10-touch DEs?

I disagree with Inq that there's no difference because it's one touch at a time either way. My mental math about when I need to take certain risks is different in a 10-touch vs. 15-touch bout. I'm still in Vet40, but I know that I always spend some time practicing 10-touch DEs before I head to a veteran NAC. Then again, I don't really have a problem making that adjustment between competing in local (open) events and NAC veteran events. (Well, not other than the couple of times when my coach had to remind me that I didn't get a third period.) If USA Fencing were to change to 15-touch DEs in selection events, and the Vet Worlds stayed with 10-touch DEs, I would be surprised if we found that our fencers did less well at Vet Worlds.

I'd be surprised to see USA Fencing change to 15-touch, 3-period DEs unless the FIE changed the Vet Worlds first. If nothing else, that would mean much longer days in the veteran foil and epee events, which would require them to adjust how they plan for those events.

3. tbryan

tbryan Podium

I'd be on board for that. It would make me more likely to attend a non-veteran NAC if I had a veteran combined event to fence, too. Then again, I don't know that our organization is looking for ways to increase the number of fencers at our NACs.

How many of the veterans competing nationally also make a point to fence at regional veteran events? I know that there are some veteran tournaments or veteran events at ROCs in my region, but I've never made a special effort to fence in them.

4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Whatever we think about it, whatever we want, this ^ is all that matters. US Fencing isn't going to change to 15s unless the FIE does. And the FIE changing is perishingly unlikely. So this is what we have, and are going to have.

5. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Just on the off chance that someone reading this thread isn't aware there's also a proposal to modify Masks. It's covered in this armory thread: https://www.fencing.net/forums/threads/new-fie-mask-requirements.142034/
    But the implication is that if you were thinking you need a new mask you might be want to put it off until the question is settled and the vendors have a chance to revamp their designs if need be.

6. Peach

Peach Podium

Would prefer the 10 touch bout to be used in Vet Worlds. As always with rules I don’t like, will continue to practice using those rules because that’s part of how I continue to do well. But I prefer 15 touch bouts tactically, even though I’m at the age where I count deterioration in dog years.

7. DocVic

DocVic Rookie

Or you might consider a hard year/easy year training cycle, going to Worlds every other year. Body might last longer, others might get a chance for the honor of going to Worlds. The way the points are counted, this would be disadvantageous, but after a year of relative rest, getting back on top should be easy;)

8. Peach

Peach Podium

Ha :). I always manage to make the team if I intend to go. But I took a year off when I tore my meniscus in Hungary, and getting back on top isn't easy.
    For one thing, they use the previous two years for seeding, so even though I finished second in Germany after the hiatus, I was seeded a good bit lower than that in Slovenia the next year . . . it meant I lost a bout to a much-higher seeded fencer who was in my pool and I had to fight up through DEs. Ideally, you want the team members to come out of the pools without having to fence one another.
    For another, it also affects the seeding at Veteran NACs if you don't make all of them.
    Of course, I don't go for the "honor" -- this is a competition sport, right? I go because I'm crazy and competitive.

DocVic likes this.