Pro French Grip

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by dareox, May 8, 2019.

1. dareox

dareox Rookie

All this grips are same long ?? If I setup Carmimari and then I want to check harut mamba will works? I dont have to cut blade ?? Harunt corona and pistol probably is one way setup?

2. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

All grips are definitely not the same length. While most are close enough to not require cutting the tang (unless you go from French down to pistol), back when we were regularly checking French epee grips it was all too common to see grips from one manufacturer combined with pommels from another and the end result would be a few millimeters over the maximum allowable length. Fortunately this was usually something which could easily be corrected with a file or hacksaw, but most people who did this weren't even aware that they had put together an illegal weapon.

3. EldRick

EldRick Podium

Harut offers choices of length (in the range of 13.5-14.5cm) for some of their grips, to allow for user choice of pommel.

4. K O'N

K O'N Podium

No french grip is a one way setup, except the LP carbon grips that require you to cut the tang to pistol grip length. Any normal french grip can be removed and replaced if you don't like it.

5. dcchew

dcchew Podium

For the conventional "straight" French grip, it's usually easy to swap grips.

When, you start playing with modified French grips like what Harut and Schermasport offers, then all bets are off. If you know what you're doing, you can bend a tang to fit a Harut Grand Prix grip in about 15 minutes. The first time I fitted a Harut Grand Prix grip, it took me about an hour to get it to go onto a tang without having to force it.

6. dareox

dareox Rookie

Good to know, I have few weapon with pistol grip, so I could convert them to LP carbon, only LP carbon could be converted ??

7. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Be aware that to mount a LP tennis racket style grip onto a tang requires that you use the 8mm wrench that LP sells or a 8mm deep socket attached to a 6" long extension and straight bar that more readily available at your local hardware store.

8. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

Actually it is a 10 mm wrench. The most common outside wrench is 8 mm. The Prieur outside wrench was 9 mm.

Repeat Leon Paul wrench is 10 mm.

9. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Recently, Leon Paul has been providing their 8mm outside hex pistol grip pommels with their tennis racket style grips.

https://www.leonpaulusa.com/ecrou-hexa-leon-paul-8mm.html

You can still use a 6mm flanged nut that has a 10mm hex. When the LP tennis racket grips first came on the market, I used to recommend that people use a flanged nylon insert lock nut to prevent the nut from loosening.

https://www.mcmaster.com/92461a300

DHCJr and erik_blank like this.
  10. K O'N

K O'N Podium

As long as there's a washer glued in there and the tang is cut to the correct length you can use an inside hex nut and a long 6mm allen wrench. Just learn to count turns; if you get past ten or so full turns and it's still not tight, take it off, trim 1/4" off the end of the tang and try again. This is what I do with my lightweight grips, it's much easier than trying to maneuver a socket or long prieur style wrench down in there.

11. K O'N

K O'N Podium

It shouldn't take more than two minutes or so. Part of the problem is that people insist on using a crescent wrench handle rather than making a bending stick:

That tang was bent to a completely different grip, it had a Coach Reith grip on it before this. Clamp it, compare the bend, make a few tweaks, put the grip on. It doesn't have to take an hour.

A bending stick like the one I show is much much much more precise than using a crescent wrench handle, and it doesn't mangle the threads if you have to work on a threaded section.

DangerMouse likes this.
  12. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Yes, but probably not a good idea. The LP carbon grip is very lightweight. If you put it on a BF or similar blade you may not like the result. It works well with the very light LP blades.

13. dareox

dareox Rookie

Yes, I think better idea will be new blade with carmimari/harut grip. I will buy both and check with one is beter for me

14. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

I've added it to my shot list but I am also commentating so we'll see.

15. dshevy

dshevy Made the Cut

Just back from Paris World Cup. Minobe uses the clear covered Cartel handles but with an Allstar Pommel wrapped in tape.
    A lot of those pommeling still use the priuer/ cartel wooden handles and bronze pommels or the metal clears covered cartel with the bronze pommel.
    Jung used the wooden Prieur Handles with an Allstar pommel and with medium set it still passes box testing.
    Grumier used carmimari/ Italian metal handles with a cartel/ Prieur bronze pommel.

16. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

But---what kind of tape? And how much? And what color is the tape? :D

17. dshevy

dshevy Made the Cut

Tennis Overgrip, in Black, wrapped around twice :p

18. Gav

Epee Nerd.

19. Gav

Well I didn't get much chance to take pics of people's handles, I did get some pics.

Not had a chance to really do much since I came back (and I know a couple of people are waiting on emails from me - sorry) but I stuck up a couple on insta:

The man himself - Borel.

Park v Cuomo