Private Label Circuit (PLC)

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by oiuyt, Sep 7, 2006.

1. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

The following note was in last month's EC minutes for Capitol Division:

Anyone care to share more information?

-B

2. RoninX

RoninX Rookie

Hmm. Interesting. As is "professional" events? I'm not sure what the appeal of non-USFA "high level" events would if cash was not involved. Presumably no ratings or national points would be earned if they operate seperately from the USFA.

Anyone know of any any other events targetted by the circuit?

3. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

I'd assume that it's events that ARE sanctioned by the USFA at the local level, but that the circuit isn't intended to be (immediately) recognized by the USFA. As such classifications (although not points) would be awarded.

Pure speculation here, but this sounds like an outgrowth of some of the rumblings a few months (and a few years) ago to build a circuit of non-NAC events both as additional competitive opportunities, and to build a set of guaranteed-strong events for travelling A/B fencers.

There definitely would be appeal to known-strong events. Whether or not it's enough appeal to induce multiple cross-country flights is another question.

-B

4. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

I can't help but imagine this as a plot by some Whiskey cartel to take over fencing.... ;)

I wonder what other events have been contacted. Who actually represents the PLC, and what "It would help take over all aspects of the tournament" means precisely.

5. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

I think I was part of this discussion early last year, sort of a sidebar to an F.net discussion.

Before the USFA held NACs, there were a number of strong regional tournaments always guaranteed to have a good turnout. The "Cherry Blossom", "General Dynamics Open", and the "Duel at Dallas" were sort of "proto-NACs" that lost some of their luster when fencers started chasing National Points at NACs.

One of the ideas being kicked around by a few people was to identify those strong regional tournaments, publicize them, and help promote them. I think there was some idea of a central coordination of referees, technicians, and such, as well.

This was not a professional tournament circuit, but a loose association of tournaments and organizers who would agree to cooperate to help make a predictable schedule of strong tournaments that might be more accessible than a NAC.

I left the discussion at some point, and didn’t hear any more about it. I believe that Cvillefencer, however, was doing some work on it. Perhaps he'll join the discussion with more information.

Allen

6. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Circuit to be Named Later

Ahh, the cat's out of the bag!

This is the outgrowth of the "Secondary Circuit" and "Fencing.Net Circuit" threads from a while back.

We are working on organizing a set of high level, well run fencing tournaments to be included into a circuit.

Our goals for this circuit are to increase the out of region participation of the tournaments as well as to highlight those tournaments that a Div IA competitor would find a good challenge and worth a trip.

We're still working out a bunch of details surrounding the funding for the circuit prizes and promotions so I can't say more about it now but we're going to be making some announcements soon.

Craig

7. RITFencing

RITFencing Rookie

Can you let out some of the event names? The CBO, the Kickoff Open, the LBI, DitD and the Pomme all spring to mind, but I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

8. RoninX

RoninX Rookie

I see this really isn't what I was thought at all. I'm actually not really sure what makes this a "circuit". Sure getting together to advertise that these will be quality, well run tourneys and encouraging national competition is laudable and likely profitable - but don't most IA competitors already know this?

Craig: Do you make them "high level" tourneys by excluding lower level fencers? Or did you just mean "high level" in terms of their organization and quality of venue/reffing/facilities?

Anyone know what tourney might represent the NW? Perhaps one of the Portland tourneys or the Auriol Open in Seattle?

9. Craig

You'll have to wait for our announcements. ;)
    The latter.

I know which one is targeted, but can't say just yet.

Craig

10. RoninX

RoninX Rookie

:) why don't we have a :shiftyeyes: smiley?

I'll take that to mean one IS targeted in the NW and I can plan on driving to at least one of these - sounds like good times. :egypt:

11. telkanuru

telkanuru Podium

Totally not cool.

12. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

It's a circuit if there's some sort of combined standings that encourages athletes to tour to a number of the circuit stops -- to make a circuit of the region (in this case the US).

Prizes based on season standings, as well as a number of known-strong events are what provide the incentive to do said travelling. Even well-known events are still somewhat hard to judge from out of area. While I know about the DitD (and finally attended last season), and I know about the PCS, as an East Coast fencer I don't know if any of the other PCS events are worth flying cross-country, especially for my weapon.

If there's a circuit of 7-9 events in addition to the 3 D1 NACs then people will have a better idea for which events planning trips is worthwhile. These events will tend to draw larger/stronger crowds, making them even more worthwhile in a virtuous cycle.

That's the theory anyway.

-B

13. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

And people wonder why I read EC minutes for divisions to which I don't (and never have and likely never will) belong...

Tidbits like this one are just one of many reasons.

Craig- Can you at least provide an estimated timeframe for additional information to be available? Are we talking a secret that's intended to remain so until a gala announcement by the end of the month? The year? The season?

-B

14. Craig

First off - your description of a circuit is pretty much spot on to what we are intending. There will be some sort of end of year prize for all 6 weapons based on a point system. We are working out the actual prize packages as well as how we're going to award points (there will be some strength factor assessments involved).

Our original target date was 9/1 to make the announcement, but that slipped so we're looking at end of the month at this point - assuming that nothing else in the schedule slips.

- Craig

15. seven6ty

seven6ty Rookie

Is it just me, or does this strike anyone else as the perfect opportunity to make an alcoholic beverage to go along with this circuit? Like Private Label Rum, or whatever whatever. Please tell me this is all part of your grand plan, right???

16. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

So can we pry any more intermediate information out of you? Such as who constitutes "we"?

-B

17. Craig

Said person wishes to remain in the shadows pulling the puppet strings at the moment.

Craig

18. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

Ooooh, a challenge. :)

-B

19. edew

edew Podium

Oooh, calling Dr. Lutz!

20. MyrddinsPrecint

MyrddinsPrecint Podium

Am I the only one who thought that there's a chance it might, in fact, be Brad?????????