Prep Exercises

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Pendragon, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Pendragon

Pendragon Rookie

What kind of exercises would be good prep work to begin getting into the sport?

To give some background, I am 5' 6" tall, and just a hair over 200lbs. Ya, I know I am overweight, it's why I want to get into the sport. I have had reconstructive surgery on my right ankle due to a car accident, so I know I'm going to need to focus on getting it limber and conditioned.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!! :D

2. tchwojko

tchwojko Rookie

I've enjoyed biking. I've gotten a bunch of leg strength, wind, and lost weight. It's easier on my knees than running. I don't know how it would affect your ankle.

(I've lost count of how many times I've "come back" to fencing after a hefty period away.)

3. geofmclean

geofmclean Made the Cut

Personally, jumping rope in the garage has been about the most practical conditioning exercise that I've found. Biking would probably be better, but I have two kids under 5 and need to stay close to the house.

Fencing footwork can be a good workout itself. See the training tips:

http://www.fencing.net/training-tips/footwork.html

that Craig has provided.

Good luck and have fun with it. Don't let a little extra weight keep you from starting your fencing lessons. If you wait until you're in top physical shape, you may be the best-conditioned lousy fencer in the sport.

4. Phrogger

Phrogger Rookie

1. I second the rope jumping and footwork, though I don't know how it would affect your weak ankle.

2. Since I got tendonitis in my weapon elbow I've been doing grip exercises, handlebar twists and tricep pulldowns for physical therapy; they would probably be good for conditioning, too.

3. Lunges are a must so that you don't pull your groin when you start training.

5. Hauptman

Hauptman Rookie

I've done all sorts of cross-training over the years, and I've found that running stairs has had the most direct relation to fencing for me.

Taking two stairs at a time gives you a stretch and builds strength that seems directly related to a lunge. You can start by walking stairs and work into running. It's aerobic, and strength building.

Phrogger likes this.
  6. bunbury

bunbury Rookie

You will not lose weight by starting fencing. Maybe after a year of doing it.

7. lefty_monster

lefty_monster Rookie

Jump rope. Jump rope. Jump rope.

8. telkanuru

telkanuru Podium

9. Peach

Peach Podium

Jumping rope is one of the best exercises, but if you have joint problems, and depending on your age, jumping rope doesn't work too well. I can't do it any more. I prefer a workout on a good elliptical trainer because I don't have the impact problems you get from jumping rope.

10. nahouw

nahouw Podium

I agree with Peach. The elliptical will be good for your joints, and biking wouldn't add any stress either. If I were you, I'd do these daily for at least 30 minutes, and in combination with your footwork work, you will build up the muscle strength to protect your joints. Eventually, as your muscles get stronger, you could add jump roping, as it is an excellent workout -- they say that 5 minute of jump roping is equivalent to a 20 minute run. In addition, jumping rope will enhance your footwork -- look at boxers and how important jumping rope is to their regimine.

Oh, and stretching after fencing will be very important too.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008