Post-Memphis Observations/Comments

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by IHateMrPotatohead, Oct 10, 2006.

1. IHateMrPotatohead

IHateMrPotatohead Rookie

I would like to reiterate the coldness factor. However, I would definitely rather be cold than hot, so I can't really complain too much.

One of the great things I noticed, was that there was a TON of space for bags and people around each pod. Compared to Miami last year, this venue was great!

2. eac

eac Rookie

No comments about anything else, but as someone with a long break between pools and DEs (very bottom of the tableau with a bye and not blazingly fast set of refs/bouts), it was not difficult to just wear a coat and then fence with someone to warm up shortly before the DEs. I like cold venues.

3. chiz

chiz Rookie

Its too bad you didn't get out to eat....

The Rendezvous is good, not the best but good ...

Chiz

4. bigdawg2121

bigdawg2121 Podium

Since I'm far too lazy to actually start my own thread I'll try to have it here. Jason already hinted at some refereeing incompetence so everyone else weigh in. Who was good? Who was bad? Who was just clearly not having a good weekend? Name names, tell stories, the whole nine. Refs take your shots too. The fencers and coaches have no shortage of their own wtf moments. Let the fun begin.

5. rcmatthews

rcmatthews Rookie

As for the directors, I was not impressed. In one DE, I came forward attacking, my opponent clearly took my blade, two lights. Somehow, the touch was mine. So, I allowed my opponent to take my blade three more times in the bout, and each time, touch for me. I was also informed by this director that cuts in which someone cocks back and swings as hard as they can are "just how sabre is". Unfortunately I can't remember his name, but I believe one of our board members was observing him.

6. edew

edew Podium

If he says that saber may include people hitting hard, well, that is part of the game. If he says that a person who pulls back still maintains right of way against an obvious attack into preparation, then he's way wrong.

7. IHateMrPotatohead

IHateMrPotatohead Rookie

I was a little freaked out when I asked my epee ref to test. He pointed to the floor and said, "go ahead, test." I said, "Umm. Sir? Aren't you supposed to do it?" At that point, he rolled his eyes, walked up, and pressed the tip of the blade down. Rolled his eyes again, and walked back to his spot.

Other than that, I thought most of the reffing was pretty good.

8. Phincer

Phincer DE Bracket

He wasn't dissing the cold venues-more the wait time between pools and DEs and the sound issue. Also wanted to make sure all the new(er) fencing parents/supporters always remember to bring a jacket and comfy shoes.

9. SBS

SBS Rookie

My overall thought was that it was fairly well run but the line for equipment checks friday morning was unbelievably long, and I think the commentary of the finals bouts will take some getting used to. Other then that Memphis was a fairly nice city (I can't say whether Memphis BBQ is better then Texas BBQ or not but it was still pretty darn good).

10. Frank Pratt

Frank Pratt DE Bracket

The finals strip was not elevated, (at least is wasn't on Saturday.) It should have been, though.

I agree with the comments about commentary. Many people don't understand the ref's hand signals (particularly non-fencers,) and it's very difficult for anyone to hear the referee. Commentary is a very good idea, but it should only be audible to the spectators. We had a hard time hearing our own referee in our pool during the Cadet MS finals.

The venue was indeed cold. I noticed it, and several others commented on it. There was a lack of cheap food (one expensive concession stand and 4 empty Coke machines.) Overall, though, it was a pretty nice venue.

11. gatorjosh

gatorjosh Rookie

it was freezing.

12. rcmatthews

rcmatthews Rookie

NO hitting hard is not part of the game. It may happen occasionally, but it is certainly not part of the game.

13. Phincer

Phincer DE Bracket

My DH asked me to post this (before any of you get on him about not posting himself-he's on a business trip and can't get to a computer):

He spent two days at the Memphis NAC and had the following observations/comments:

1. Venue was very cold-which was great for the fencers most of the time, but bad for the fencers when there was more than an hour between pools and DEs.

2. Thought the idea of announcing quarter, semi and final bouts on elevated strip was a great idea, but it had the following adverse effects:
    a) no one anywhere else in the venue could hear a thing while this was going on, so coaches and fencers could not hear each other on strip.
    b) The really bad part was that after a while everyone was tuning out the PA system and not hearing the strip change announcements.

He offers no solution about air conditioning-better too cold than too hot.

But he suggests small portable speaker/s and a microphone that can only be heard in the general vicinity of the strip where announcing is going on. This is not expensive, and it is portable.

3. Too bad about the fires in Memphis that shut down the trolley.

4. Memphis BBQ not as good as Texas BBQ.

Anyone else have any observations/comments?:)

14. JMcC

JMcC Rookie

Lots of space

Lots of space for people to move around; that was refreshing. Wish all venues could be laid out so well.:)

15. teamusaepee

teamusaepee Rookie

I have to agree - it was darn cold in there!

I didn't go to the concession stand until Monday, but how can Marriott justify selling hamburgers for $6 when they are just a small, dry patty and bun?!? At least when I pay $5 for my popcorn at the movies it's fresh, spilling over the edge of the bag, and dripping with butter...

The refereeing I experienced was pretty bad. I don't know their names, but I wouldn't say them if I did... though I'm committed to being able to one-light it most of the way next time and being several points ahead so when the ref lets all the time run down during a break (like going to write down a card, for example) it's my opponent's problem.

I have to say, however, that the walk into the venue was blissfully short, parking was available within a reasonable distance, and there was plenty of space and chairs. Nice job on that.

16. rcmatthews

rcmatthews Rookie

2.75 for a granola bar

17. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

A couple of solutions for when this happens and you AREN'T ahead:

* Point out the running clock to the referee
    * Hit the floor outside the strip -- the touch triggered will stop the clock

-B

18. demon_fencer

demon_fencer Rookie

The directing for my pool & DE bracket bit the big one. Out of the three directors I experienced in Div 2 W Sabre, one was decent (a female ref), one was incompetent and needs to read the rule book and one (*cough*JoelPipkin*cough*) was definitely biased in favor of certain fencers. The incompetent one did my pools and only ONCE gave a yellow card to a girl that crossed over in every single bout she had (except mine).

WTF?

He even awarded her a touch that clearly occurred after she had crossed over while chasing another fencer. Unfortunately, none of the fencers asked for a floor judge... I didn't let her leave the "box" so there wasn't any need in my bout. He needs to read the freaking rule book.

and speaking of rules... when fencer A attacks and scores a touch (one light) and fencer B drops their blade AT THE SAME TIME AS THE HIT... touch for fencer A - right? Not in Memphis. The biased ref says no touch, fencers back on guard. Also, in a previous bout (mine) fencer A attack falls short, fencer B (me) pauses so as to not get hit on the remise and then both fencers come together to hit, two lights, touch goes to fencer A. Again I ask WTF?

As for the other half of the brackets, apparently they had decent directors because no one I knew complained about it.

How the heck can we get such crap handed to us at a NAC but you can go to a regional event (Pacific Coast Section) and get Hristo, Tomek, Derek C, and even Robbie doing a kick-butt job.

19. Mauler

Mauler Rookie

Sorry to hear that you went through a lousy experience. Div II/III is largely a developmental event from refereeing perspective just as it is for fencing. So they use a fair number of yet-to-be-proven and/or have-yet-to-learn-how referees. It could've also been a case of fairly decent and proven Foil referees being used for earlier rounds of Sabre (to try it out) and being told beforehand, "BTW in Sabre we don't follow rules. So take care out there."

As for the region-vs-NAC comparison, you're in the luck as far as the phenomenal refereeing talents that are present and available in your area. For the rest of the country, more often than not, what you experienced at the NAC is still way over the quality they get where they come from.... Sometimes they just flat out don't have enough people locally/regionally who even know how to ref. And oftentimes in areas blessed with super-reffing talents, chances are many of them are just not available to ref non-NAC/non-World Cup events.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  20. TooLoftheDeviL

TooLoftheDeviL gother than thou

... what?